choosing a nail gun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need one for first fix, so nails up to about 4". Seems to be plenty of choice, but I tend to abuse tools so I need one that'll stand some ahrd use. Any recommendations?
Ta

Sponsored Links
if you want one to stand up to abuse - it has to be bostitch . Downside is you have to drag a compressor around , plus side is the nails are a fraction of the price of paslode which is a comparativly delicate machine

wabbitpoo, i guess your probably be using it outside for decking etc?

if thats the case i have a paslode first fix that i always use for framing/decking etc. Takes all sorts of beating and in all sorts of weather.

Sponsored Links
great thanks for the advice. Off to seek prices now.....

is there a cheap way of buying the nails?

While I am at it, its time for a screw gun suitable for deck screws. Again, any recommends?

the ones from toolstation are good and they do the gas, or this place does them as well http://www.davronline.co.uk/catalogue.php?catID=42&opener=0-42

The guy in that place told me that paslode have lost the rights to exclusivly make the stuff so everyone is making it now. Ive never had a problem with the cheaper stuff.

its worth learning how to strip it down and clean it yourself. ive sometimes needed to strip it down to clear it when it jams on site. Only thing to watch for are the rechargers. They have a pants lead that plugs into the back and they soon become lose and dont charge when you think they are. well worth getting an extra battery too.

WabbitPoo said:
is there a cheap way of buying the nails?

If you have a Wickes Extra near you, they sell Hitachi nails for their gun (which is tha same as the Paslode) and their prices are the cheapest you can get these nails for. And in smaller, more convenient packs - but no gas - get that off ebay.

Hitachi nails are a bit thicker too.

Or just watch ebay. But don't get caught up in a buying frenzy - some nail packs go for stupid prices - more than shop prices. And some sellers want to charge £15 delivery. As if.

Incidently, people complain that the strip nails are expensive, but pro rata they are not significantly more than normal nails.

But get some decent ear-defenders if you are going to be doing lots of nailing with the gun.

well i finally got one, from ebay. my local merchant had previousl;y told me that some people had been moaning about getting US versions which had problems with nails bought over here. Lo and behold, mine is made in US (aren't they all?!?). Am I likely to have a problem?

The only problem with a US gun, is that it is likely to automatically fire at anything it sees, be it a friendly piece of timber or not.

The British version is much more refined and will only fire once it has correctly identified the timber to be nailed.

Saves on nails and problems in the long run.

Apart from that they are all the same.

and the US one will fire 1500 nails at one piece of wood and miss, even with the laser guidance and hud, whereas the british one does it with cool calm digity and one nail :LOL:

Thermo said:
and the US one will fire 1500 nails at one piece of wood and miss, even with the laser guidance and hud, whereas the british one does it with cool calm digity and one nail :LOL:

.... right before his gun jams/overheats/falls apart due to shoddy manufacture/maintainance/budget cuts... :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back