Nail guns.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not happy with the shiplap on one of my sheds so thinking of over cladding with feather edged boards.
I'll be using 25mm x 125mm with 100mm on show, (i.e. 25mm overlap. Is this enough overlap?). fixed to 25mm x 100mm battens, (only a couple of pence more than 75mm wide so worth going wider as I can use any spare for other things).

So I'm looking for advice on nail guns.
First fix or second fix? Any recommendations on brand and model? I don't think I will get too much use afterwards so not looking for top of the range, just a decent reliable one that you can easily get nails for and doesn't require too much maintenance to keep it working.
As a rough idea, 1 side of shed will require about 50 boards, 1.8m tall, 4 fixing points of 2 nails each, (8 nails per board), so looking at a minimum of 800 nails per side, times 3, (other side and two ends roughly). So 2,500 as a ballpark figure.

Sponsored Links
The best cordless, i.e. battery only, nail guns are hikoki and milwaukee at present but having researched across mains powered, cordless, gas, and air guns, air guns seem the most consistent in terms of burying the nail and ease of use, the downside being the compressor. But without the hassle of the weight of the cordless guns. I have a mains nailer which is next to useless in terms of burying the head of the nail.

Blup

I've been using my cordless dewalt 2nd fix for ages for outside stuff (before I get shot down... yes I know it's a brad nailer, not a nail gun).
Lots of pallet fencing and cladding type projects, using 50mm tacwise, brads.
It's been brilliant. No jams, an very occasional no brad fired.

Yes the brads will rust over time, but for what it is, the wood will rot before they all give way.
I bought second hand from FB Marketplace.

You're be surprised what a 16g nail will hold but some of the cheaper options to look at is Ryobi nailers I had a couple of jobs that I needed a 18,g nailer for a didn't want to pay paslode money
so brought after good feed back a Ryobi 18g nailer and was I surprised yes great little gun so look for one of there first fix nailers

Attachments

• 20230410_095617.jpg
    20230410_095617.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
You're be surprised what a 16g nail will hold but some of the cheaper options to look at is Ryobi nailers I had a couple of jobs that I needed a 18,g nailer for a didn't want to pay paslode money
so brought after good feed back a Ryobi 18g nailer and was I surprised yes great little gun so look for one of there first fix nailers
i have both the ryobi 18-16 gauge nailers and yes they are brilliant and getting nails out is very near impossible ----bbbuuuttt---the heads are too small and wet wood has a hell off a lot off pull and about perhaps 5% off nails wont have enough resistance
now angle nailing will have a bit more resistance as the actual nail length at the angle will be about 25-40% more dependent on angle and nail will have to bend to pull out giving further resistance
and another trick, if a plank starts to lift tap it back flat as you can with a hammer then holding in fire 2 nails in a "X" pattern they will tarnish and match in as the wood greys ---- how do i know this ---frustration and trial and error ;)

Looking at various guns, (corded, battery, gas and air), and I think just using it to clad a shed won't justify the cost.
The 'cheapest' decent one seems to be a Ryobi, as suggested by @gonch69, and thats coming in at around £ 234 from Amazon. It's a bare machine, (169.95), which means I would need a battery, (£25.99), and a charger, (£41.00)
I know there would be little chance of me using it for much else after doing the shed so I'm going to go the hammer & nails route. It's not as though I'm in a hurry. Looks like I will be off work until at least the end of July so take it steady doing it the old fashioned way.
Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.

The ferrex one, is pretty good too, I’ve used this, £99 all in, when available.

Dewalt will fire a 63mm brad if bothered.

I don't think I will get too much use afterwards so not looking for top of the range
You've really got to want one then because that's an awfully expensive paperweight to have lying around afterwards. Think I'd consder hiring one and either blitzing it in a day or two or just pay a little extra for a weeks rental and take your time.

I know there would be little chance of me using it for much else after doing the shed
Could sell it..

30 quid for an air stapler is ok, money-wise but you do rather need to have a compressor too! I've plenty of other uses for my compressor; very rarely use the stapler. Still, a new compressor should be less than 100 quid, or less than 50 second hand..

So, finally decided to do it by hand. The cost of buying a gun can't be justified as I will probably never use it again, (or very rarely at least). The cost of the nails is absolutely prohibitive for the amount I'd use. And then there is the cost of a gas cylinder. Not sure how long they last/how many nails they fire, but I hope for you guys that use them it is a long time! Most places are over £100 just for that, then the nails are a lot more expensive than standard nails because they come in strips or cartridges and, it seems to me, you have to buy the ones that fir your gun.
Once again, thanks for your replies guys. It's opened my eyes to what you fellas have to pay to do your job.

what you have to pay to do your job.
Well, technically it's the customer that pays for the nails.. or should be! We just bring the applicator and the skills ;) - and the speed and convenience of being up a ladder, leaned to get access to some hole the nailer only just fits in to fire the one fixing at that wonky angle.. That's what pays for the tools..

Electric nailers all the way for me, given that I own two gas ones and have borrowed an electric one before; gas is such a pain in the ass compared

Talking nails an cladding I'm out of 51mm ;)

Attachments

• 20221214_080220.jpg
    20221214_080220.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 53

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back