Choosing a radiator for a lobby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
She who must be obeyed has taken a dislike to the radiator in our entrance lobby. The room is about 1.6M square with 2 outside walls and the front door, but no windows.
The present radiator is 750mm high by 500mm double with convectors, which I reckon would be about 1KW. It's well lagged by about 3 layers of coats hanging on pegs above it, but heats the lobby well.
We would like to fit a lower radiator , say, 400mm high, and anything up to the width of the room.

The various heat loss calculators I have tried indicate the heat loss to be about 500W, so it sounds like the present radiator is well OTT. Do you think 500W sounds about right for a small lobby with an outside door, or would you add a bit more to compensate for winter gales blowing through the letterbox :)

Sponsored Links
Worked it out according to your sizes and assume room height is 2.4M, no cavity insulation = 570 watts. I would fit a 600mm H x 500 W P+ or similar ;)

Thanks G4U. Your figure is just a tad higher than the highest from my calcs (the ceiling height is only 2.25M) so it looks like i'm in the right ballpark.

It looks like I will be shopping for a rad. around 300 X 1000 or 400 X 800, looking for about 600W / 2000BTU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back