Choosing a septic tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the 100 year old brick tank is well passed its best (!!), and the outflow is certainly not compliant since the new Regulations came in.

There are various aspects to the project, but the bit that's currently bogged me down is choice of manufacturer.

Different contractors all seem to have their 'preferred' make, and swear by its benefits over others leaving me increasingly confused and disbelieving....

Putting aside things like sizing (most come in choice of size), and drainage field, does anyone with experience have a recommendation for the tank make itself?

And when considering different tanks, what aspects should I include in my considerations eg
* material: GRP, polystyrene(HDPE), other
* surround:concrete, granular
* filter on outflow
* ??
* ??

Sponsored Links
Kingspan Klargester Biodisc is well worth looking at. 1000's installed, simple and effective treatment process, low power consumption and easy to service when required. I work for a Water Company and we have the large versions treating the flows from entire villages.

If maintained properly the outflow should be clean enough to discharge into a watercourse, installation depends on ground type, but concrete would probably be favourable to hold in in place, last thing you want to get it emptied and the water table push it up out the ground.

Thanks. Yes Klargester was one of the recommendations I've already had, though looking at a septic tank rather than the biodisc treatment system.

Marsh has also been highly recommended as they come with "Polylok Filters prefitted to the outlet 'TEE piece' ".

Your key consideration needs to be discharge, which is the reason you are replacing the existing setup in the first place?

Septic tanks are (as far as I am aware), unlikely to meet the discharge consents now demanded by the EA, (you'll simply be replacing like with like, just a different type of tank), so what additional measures will be required to ensure outfall meets standards required? Package treatment plants are just that, they treat the raw effluent to an acceptable standard before discharging it back to the environment. The Biodisc is one such type of plant.

Sponsored Links
No - there are the TWO key considerations 1) the tank is obsolete and leaking and beyond economic repair (plus where would I poo while it was emptied and re-built!), and b) yes the discharge is non-compliant.
As I said a new drainage field is being dealt with - test bores planned to ensure suitable soil type, height above water table, and hence size of field required to comply with Building Regs and new EA General Binding Rules.

So the query here is purely about the choice of tank.

However, in the unlikely event that the tests show we can't discharge into a drainage field, I have looked at some small sewerage treatment systems. Some advice sugests avoiding those (most!) wih pumps or moving parts eg Biorock. But again, their website like all others highlights all the apparant benefits but then it would do wouldn't it? Call me septic, oops sceptic if you like!

Last edited:
Personally I'd take the experience of an installer over some manufacturer's marketing claims. Hugh Jaleak does know what he's talking about...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back