Choosing door hinges and bolt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single door into a block-built outbuilding. The door opens outwards. What kind of hinges should I use so the door can swing round 180 degrees but end up slightly proud of the wall in order to leave a little clearance for a thin weatherboard? I've bought some cheap steel parliament hinges but unless I'm missing something they only seem to allow 90 degree opening.

At the opposite end of the outbuilding are double doors that I want to be able to secure with a bolt into the frame overhead. Tower bolts all seem to come with staples (is that the right word for the metal loop the bolt closes into?) designed for in-line use and swan-back bolts don't work well with a simple single recess.

What exact products should I be looking for?

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Do you want swing clear hinges or double action hinges?

For the bolt, I'm assuming you want something like a recessed or flush bolt.

If there is a lintel or beam, you can drill a hole in it for the bolt to go into, you don't need the staple and it will be stronger. Same for the floor. Flush bolts are elegant but they weaken the door as you chase out wood to fit them.

I prefer Brenton bolts as you can add a padlock if necessary.

I can't visualise your hinge requirement. Provide a sketch please. Look at cranked Hook and Band hinges which may be what you want.

Just noticed my patio doors achieve the required end with hinges like this. Does anyone know what they're called?

Attachments

• 2016-06-10 13.09.17.jpg
    2016-06-10 13.09.17.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
Indeed. Why bother with the wisdom of community when you can spend ages poring over hundreds of bewildering images on your own?

Why bother doing anything yourself when someone else will do it for you - free?

If pictures of door hinges are bewildering to you, you'd better get a carpenter.

Not much wisdom on here, usually.

Sponsored Links
Back