Choosing Materials for a Bathroom Refurbishment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've knocked a toilet & bathroom into one. The bathroom walls were fully tiled and removing them brought nearly all the plaster off the walls, so I have taken off the rest as well, so I have bare brick, and a plasterboard ceiling that had rough textured paint on it, but where the walls were between the toilet and the bathroom, just the bare ceiling joists.

My intention is to build a studwork frame on an outside wall, leaving a small gap at the base (which will be covered by skirting board later) to form a void for plumbing, and then to cover the studwork with suitable plasterboard. For the other walls, I am hoping to bond plasterboard directly to the brickwork, and then have the lot professionally skimmed. I'm putting a shower enclosure in one corner, which will have a tiled interior, but otherwise, the decorative finish will be bathroom emulsion (the Mrs doesn't like tiles).

A few questions:

Is it OK to put plasterboard directly over the ceiling textured paint, and should I do the ceiling first, so that its edges are covered by the wall boards, for the sake of neatness and extra support. Would you screw the ceiling boards as well, to be on the safe side?

What type of board should I use in the shower area, so that I can be sure the tiles won't fall off? I was looking at Wickes Aquapanel Backing Board. I'd need 4 x 1200x900x12.5mm. The shower enclosure is 900mm square, so I was going to make the studwork with 300mm centres in the corner, but at 400 centres for the rest of the wall. OK? What horizontal centres would be best: I was thinking 600mm?

Would a board such as Wickes Moisture Panel T Edge 2400x1200x12.5mm be suitable for the rest of the walls? I was going to put smaller and lighter sheets on the ceiling.

Is general plasterboard adhesive suitable, or do I need something else (for bonding to walls & ceiling)?

Sponsored Links
Well the materials are being delivered today, so I'm pretty much committed, but I'd really appreciate some guidance on using dot & dab on a ceiling. I've cut a 'prop' to help hold the boards (I'm going to use 1220x900) while I fix them, and I hope to be able to use the screws to get an exact level at the joins (compressing the adhesive, if needed, as I tighten), so that when the adhesive has set, I get a solid and stable job.

I'd welcome other ideas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back