choosing new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our 23 yr old Glow Worm boiler needs replacing and the new one re-sited from the middle of the kitchen to an outside wall.

The choice of replacement seems to be between an Ideal Logic+ and a Vaillant Ecofit Pure .

We have a hot water tank in the airing cupboard and cold water tank in the loft with 14 radiators split 4 double and 6 single on the system.

The best place to site the new boiler is in the downstairs cloakroom where the gas meter is situated, and it has an outside wall for drainage and the flue.

From my research the Vaillant would seem the better choice with a longer warranty when fitted by a registered installer, and there seem far fewer adverse reviews of the Vaillant than the Ideal on various websites.

I have some concern about our very old pipes if the system was power flushed but have beeen advised that there are alternative ways of cleaning out the pipes prior to refilling and testing after fitment of the new boiler.

Our present heating runs perfectly with every radiator very hot, but I wonder if there could be problems in balancing the system after all the work has been done.

Any advice on choice of boiler, flushing and balancing of the system and points I should clarify with my engineer would be welcomed and appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Look at the Intergas before committing to anything. The Guys on here speak highly of them, very few moving parts, and seem to be the boiler of choice for quite a few installer now. Ideal have had a bad press in recent years, for poor quality. Vaillant seem to have gone downhill too, quality of components letting them down I think.

Powerflush seems to be the manufacturers preferred method of cleaning the system prior to new boiler being fitted, note it involves water being pumped round at speed rather than pressure, the idea being to flush out debris with the flow. If you are looking at a sealed system, (one that works under pressure) and the pipework is that bad, it would be prudent to look at replacing it at the same time as the boiler, or you may just be setting yourself up for further problems.

Balancing should not be an issue, if system works now, no reason why it wont continue to do so with new boiler powering it.

A heat only boiler would have 2 moving parts. gas valve and the fan.

There are many other makes of boiler which are as good if not better than the commonly known makes.

The Vaillant Ecofit is just a Glowworm Energy in a dinner jacket. The Logic has known issues with both its heat exchanger and its sump. Buy an Intergas HRE OV - 7 year warranty out of the box and extremely reliable

Sponsored Links
I’m in the process of getting a new boiler and I have plumped for a Vaillant. BG gave me a quote for an ecofit pure and that came with a 5 year guarantee from BG. Normally though, they only come with a 2 year one. The Vaillant EcoTEC plus comes with a 5 year guarantee as standard. I’ve had a quote for one of those from a local Vaillant installer. £1,300 cheaper than BG and with an 8 year guarantee.

Any advice on choice of boiler, flushing and balancing of the system and points I should clarify with my engineer would be welcomed and appreciated.

@fabia313 when you’ve been in and around as many boilers, as the engineers on this forum have, from almost every manufacturer there is, and every model they produce; seen how they’re put together; become accustomed to the nature of common faults associated with each, through hundreds of call-outs for breakdowns; serviced them; taken them apart; put them back together again; skinned and smashed your knuckles; split your fingers and spent hours sourcing parts and navigating through warranty call-out procedures....

You’ll then understand why Intergas is highly respected amongst many here.

Then it will come down to the abilities of your chosen installer... choose well, in both cases. :D

You’ll then understand why Intergas is highly respected amongst many here.

That is the installers opinion based on the few hours they spend with the boilers.

Maybe the users who spend many many weeks with the boiler will have an opinion that is different.

As usual Bernie you have chosen to quote only part of my post, to suit your own ends.

It’s dozens of engineers with thousands of hours of experience with hundreds of products... I think that accounts for a decent wealth of experience that out-trumps yours!

That is the installers opinion based on the few hours they spend with the boilers.

Maybe the users who spend many many weeks with the boiler will have an opinion that is different.

Maybe the users who spend many many weeks with the boiler will come to the same conclusion?

Nozzle

Of course some users will be happy with their new boiler. Depends what they were used to. Actually it is the entire system and not just the ( type of ) boiler that matters.

Hi,unfortunately we will need a new boiler later in the year.
We have seen extended warranties & guarantees mentioned a lot,can we ask if wear &tear items are included.For example a fan failure after 4 years will that be repaired free ?
Ta,again

Within the warranty period, everything should be covered as long as it’s been installed as per the instructions and the warranty conditions have been adhered to. I think it’s things like regular servicing by a gas safe engineer and inhibitor kept up to strength. If I’m wrong, I’m sure I’ll be corrected pretty swiftly!

Yes a fan would be covered,you will need to have your boiler serviced and have the service record filled in every year.

Hi,unfortunately we will need a new boiler later in the year.
We have seen extended warranties & guarantees mentioned a lot,can we ask if wear &tear items are included.For example a fan failure after 4 years will that be repaired free ?
Ta,again
Sounds like a reverse Q, you got a problem?

The budget model Ideal Logic has suffered pinhole leaks in their cheaply made aluminium heat exchangers.

Another common design fault of the Ideal Logic - cracking sump:

Ideal Vogue is supposed to be a premium model (has stainless steel hex) but new version has plastic components:

Watch from 3:46:

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back