Choosing outside security light

This "save shed loads of cash by changing to LED lighting" thing is out of proportion IMHO.
It surely depends upon context. The "saving of shed loads of cash" applies in relation to lights which are on for substantial amounts of time. There clearly is no significant running-cost saving to be had in relation to a light which is only on for 2 minutes per day, given that it costs virtually nothing with any sort of lamp/bulb!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
This "save shed loads of cash by changing to LED lighting" thing is out of proportion IMHO.
It surely depends upon context. The "saving of shed loads of cash" applies in relation to lights which are on for substantial amounts of time. There clearly is no significant running-cost saving to be had in relation to a light which is only on for 2 minutes per day, given that it costs virtually nothing with any sort of lamp/bulb!

Kind Regards, John
Thanks to all,... like you say, the difference in running costs is minimal, the light in my link from screwfix is a good make, is it not?
Decisions decisions. cheers lads.

I don't mean to start an argument, and I agree with and respect your points. However I was pointing out that as the OP requires the light mainly for security it probably won't be on for long, therefore the difference in running costs would be insignificant whether he gets an LED one or not. The cost of the light could be significantly more expensive tho, and I'm unconvinced about their lifespan.

I'm sure you can all guess... I went for tungsten with a 120w bulb.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to take into account how often halogen lamps fail vs how often an LED lamp will fail.

Particularly when the lamp isn't on for long, it's often the switching that blows a lamp.

You are welcome to choose whatever kind of light you want up (for now, until the EU ban them), if the OP wants LED, he'll get LED.

I know what I'd go for

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back