Security / Garden Light wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my garage wall I have 2 Up / Down lighters with GU10's in, similar to these although wired into a separate stand alone PIR.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-gl-cil26apir-stainless-steel-up-down-wall-light-pir-35w/48480#

The power for the lights is taken from a FCU which is spured from the double socket in the garage.

I would like to add another light fitting to the front of the garage to light the drive way, something like 1 or 2 of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/unbranded...rolled-spotlight-graphite-230v-w-2500lm/67936

Would I be ok taking the feed from the same FCU protected with a 5A fuse ?
The garage also has its own stand alone CU
I want to make sure the plans are not going to overload the circuit.

Given the max Wattages on each light unit @ 35W x 2 per Up / Down and 75W x 2 Per sensor light I make the total 1.91A

I know that this will be notifiable work but im just running options at the moment

Sponsored Links
The total demand of existing and proposed new lights would not exceed 2A, so you could fit a 2A fuse but a 5A fuse is acceptable.
I doubt very much this would have any adverse loading affects upon the socket circuit, but always worth asking what type of socket circuit is it, what breaker size and what is the load demand put upon it?

Why do you consider this notifiable work?

I was under the asumption that this would be notifiable as the lighting is:

A) Outside
B) Hard wired to the existing wiring and not plugged into an existing socket

Ill have to check tonight what type of circuit it is and the breaker size but in terms of Load demand, very little else is used in the garage.
Maby the ocasional power tool but thats very few and far between.

I think instead of putting "notifiable" I should have said that I think the work should be carried out by a Part P certified electrician

Sponsored Links
Curious, as there is no such thing as a Part P certificate. But anyways.

You can do it, you dont need an electrician: registered, certified or otherwise.

I think instead of putting "notifiable" I should have said that I think the work should be carried out by a Part P certified electrician
No, still not right.

Part P of Building Regulations merely states that work shall be done safely... and to what it applies.

The self-certification schemes are nothing to do with Part P (although they do use the wording) and are irrelevant to all but notifiable work of which there is now very little.

I was under the asumption that this would be notifiable as the lighting is:
A) Outside
B) Hard wired to the existing wiring and not plugged into an existing socket.
Prior to April 2013, outside electrical work was notifiable, but hard-wired extensions to existing circuits, per se, were not. Since April 2013, even the outside work is not notifiable in England (although it remains notifiable in Wales).
All electrical work has to be undertaken in accordance with Part P of the Building Regs, which essentially just means that it has to be done 'safely'. When work is notifiable (which you proposed work isn't) a registered self-certifying electrician can 'notify' it him/herself (at minimal cost), but anyone 'competent' (everyday sense of the word) can undertake the work if they notify it themselves (usually at considerable cost) to their local authority.

Kind Regards, John

As the circuit is already existing and according to the statutory document not deemed a special location, it would not require to be notified.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:part_p:Statutory-Instrument

Part P is a building regulation and is something that must be to complied by law, that includes non-notifiable work.

With regards to the certificate required, there are two that will apply to the work you are discussing.

*An electrical installation certificate
*A minor works certificate

Either of the above can be used to commision the extending of this circuit.
The latter is not as detailed and as time consuming to compose.

Thanks everyone, learn something new every day

So, in your opinion, is what im proposing to do acceptable in terms of running essentially 4 light fittings off of one FCU Spur from the double socket ?

didn't want to start a new thread just for this question....I wanted to fit LED bulbs to the twin PIR light fitting as below

http://www.screwfix.com/p/unbranded...rolled-spotlight-graphite-230v-w-2500lm/67936

i've read a few comments on here about PIR's not switching on the light fitting when a low wattage bulb is fitted.

I was looking at something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Bulbs..._1_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1407485745&sr=1-1

Anyone got any experience of using LED bulbs with PIR's ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back