Wiring 4x outside security lights with PIRs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What I am trying to do is install 4 lights (3x 150W & 1x 500W) around the house and have them so that when 1 sensor is triggered, all 4 lights come on. The lights all have 4 terminals in them, L, N, E and L1.

I also need an override switch in the garage and one upstairs, although the upstairs one can come at a later date. I am hoping to wire them into the existing lighting circuit in the garage or there is power in the garage too so that could be used.

The garage is also the location of the fuse board but I’m not too comfortable in wiring directly into that. The lighting in the garage is 2 lights in the ceiling with 2 switches at either end both turn the lights on and off. One switch is fed by 1 cable and the other by 2. The garage lights have their own fuse in the fuse board, not sure what rating though.

My questions are:
Can I just wire into the existing lighting circuit in the garage via a junction box, into a 5A FCU for the override switch, then outside to the lights?

How would I add the 2nd override switch later and what do I need?

Do I wire the lights L to L, N to N, E to E & L1 to L1 to achieve the desired switch on effect and if so I will presumably need 3C & E cable?

Will the PIR’s be able to take a total load of 950W and is a 5A FCU enough?

If 3C & E cable is required, the junction box will need 4 terminals but to break into the existing lighting circuit in the garage, how do I know where best to do it and will I need just a perm live and N from that circuit?

Anything else I am missing?

Sorry for all the questions but I think I understand what to do but I need some advice from the experts. If I’m still not comfortable once people have explained it better, I’ll do as much as I can with the wiring and get an expert in to wire into the lighting circuit in the garage.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back