Choosing plants for 2.5-4m low maintenance hedge....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like a very easy to maintain 2.5-4m, probably evergreen, hedge. Ideally the plant should grow very quickly to about 3m and the stop so that it never grows above 4m even if not cut.

So ideally I would like something that while will screen the neighbhours off quickly will not go crazy too quickly even if not cut / maintained...

Probably to much to ask for, but what plants would be most appropriate given these ideal requirements?

Sponsored Links
:D fast growing and low maintenance - contradiction in terms - almost!

I like Escallonia macrantha 'Rubra'. Evergreen, fast growing to about the height you want, aromatic leaves, pretty red/pink flowers over a long season (favourite of insects), pretty much pest and disease free, doesn't need much in the way of cutting but it's tolerant of hard cutting back if you missed a year. You would need to check your aspect though - it wouldn't do well in full shade. It has an RHS Award of Garden Merit.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=2909

If you have shade, then Prunus laurocerasus, Cherry Laurel, would work. Evergreen, very glossy dark green leaves, white candle-like flowers and red berries. It's very dense and a bit more vigourous than the Escallonia but is still pretty low maintenance. It also has the RHS AGM.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=1541

i would avoid escalonia unless your by the sea. They are not fully hardy and many perished in the big freeze of 2010.

Laurel is a good choice but can grown very big. In reality your criteria are not possible so your best off choosing a type of hedging that will tolerate hard pruning should you need to reduce it at any point. Laurel is good in this regard and portugal laurel also if you prefer the darker green.

I find your requirement for a hedge to grow quickly to 3m but then stop hilarious.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back