Choosing quality Laminates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that may sound like a contradiction......

I've laid a few laminate floors for folks. No matter how clean I keep the joins, when you look at the finished products, the edges of the boards are always lifting like the joints are under stress.

I admit that the folks I lay them for, always buy the cheapie 6mm stuff from B&Q and the like. They look at the overall finish and seem to be blind to the lifting - maybe because they subconsciously know you get what you pay for and don't want to look embarrassed.

I'm assuming that the much thicker, dearer stuff, whether from B&Q or not, has more strength and maybe a better 'locking mechanism', and so will fit easier and not stress the joins.... I did see an economical bit called Krono with a 'v' grove, maybe 8mm thick, with a chunkier lock to it - though never laid the stuff.

Having said that, I had some 12/13mm thick stuff from Topps Tiles to fit in a bathroom and that was quite steppy.

Also.... I use the fibreboard underlay as I feel it gives better soundproofing and is more stable when it comes to the fitting process [ though screws with your fingers!! ].

Any thoughts please? I appreciate that brands should not be recommended but.... brands folks have had a good finish with would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Hi Ookysoft,

I see you created the thread nearly a couple of weeks ago, but as laminate is something I have been taking rather an interest in lately, I thought I would post my thoughts.

Personally I've seen countless laminate floors in friends flats and houses that look exactly as you describe (ie, joins looking under stress) - And it seems to make little difference how much you spend.

I've looked at a lot of options and I found that when you start looking at the thicker, higher priced laminates... You start moving into the area of hardwood flooring... So thats where I'm putting my money. Laminates can look ok - until they start being used. I'm yet to see a hardwood floor covering look shabby just because it has been walked on.

So, no brand advice as such - But I hope that helps. :)

Find a laminate with the unilin or uniclick locking mechanism that says 950 on the box and you will not get that just a great looking floor. see laminateinstallations dot com on recommended laminates.

Sponsored Links
I agree you get what you pay for. Laminate flooring is a fraction of the cost of hardwood flooring so I don't think people are expecting the same quality.

I recently done a floor with krono v groove 8mm laminate and it was a treat to work with and the end product was awsome and a very solid floor no irregularties at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back