Choosing the right radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have a single convector vertical radiator in the dining room but the room is still cold. Using a heating calculator i need around 4500 btu.

As its a vertical these tend to be quite a bit more expensive.

Ive had a quote off a friend of a friend and he says they will install a new radiator free if i supply it.

Existing radiator is 2000mm x 420mm

So i have trawled the internet and came across this one.. Will this be ok?
It seems to tick the right boxes but still not sure.

http://www.bestheating.com/milano-v...e-panel-designer-radiator-1600mm-x-420mm.html

Sponsored Links
If your heat loss calcs are correct, then that rad should be ok as the output is 5774 btu. 1.7 kW in new money.

Thanks. Next question.
As the radiator will be thicker, the pipes will need to be extended. Also adjusted for the valves to fit the radiator. Easy enough for a plumber but there is no room for manoeuvre with existing pipes.

Will some of the plaster need to come off for the pipes to be extended.

Not the most tidy job I know. Just moved house.

They don't look like solid walls, so expect there to be a little making good afterwards. May have to use compression coupler to extend pipe, but that should be no problem. Leave it to your friend of a friend to decide how best to tackle the job. What could possibly go wrong?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. He is fitting new doors for me as he has his own building company. Said he they would do the radiator at no extra cost for what I'm paying for the doors. Therefore not sure if he just meant swapping like for like or all the alterations in between.
The wall should be solid. External wall with two french doors either side of the radiator.

I'm going to get a quote to fit 10 or so TRV's so may just get the rad done with that. As the valves will only have to come off again to fit the TRV, as well as drain down the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back