Choosing wireless security system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been searching for a while now for a good wireless security system, i've come accross many (like Yale, Infinity etc) but thinking to go for "Friedland SL6 Response". It's bit pricy (around £300) but i like the following features:

- solar powered Siren
- 833 Mhz operating frequency
- main siren with flashing light
- ease of installation

I've got a 3-bed semi-D house and i'll be securing front door, front windows, rear patio door and kitchen door. Do you think Response SL6 is the best option?

p.s. here's the link http://www.responseelectronics.com/SL6-Response-Wirefree-Telecommunicating-Alarm-System-868MHz.html

Many Thanks
Faraz

Sponsored Links
Nope.
Visonic is better.
And you will spend a little more.
Superior product, means a few quid extra.

Sponsored Links
As alarm says, visonic is the way to go, a proper pro wirless alarm system, even "talks" to you ;)

IMHO

Yale = toy
Response = toy + crap + crud
infinite = crap + crud

;)

Not without seeing the property could anyone advise totally correctly.
Rather see a pir covering the window ifm its easy to get to.
Kitchen, the Visonic should cope with.
No cats about?
Also dont point the pir at a heat source. Whatever anyone says it can and does cause a false alarm.

Many Thanks for the guidance, i've done lot of reading about it and come to a stage where i think PowerMax+ will suite my needs but just confused if it's worth spending more to get either express, pro or complete panel for future possible extensions like video monitoring etc?

Hello I was wondering if you could share some reasons for favouring the Visonic system over the Response. Both seem to be fully featured, but I was wondering what deal breaker features are for security experts?

One thing for me would be the keypad working during a power cut; the Visonic has a battery backup but I can't tell if the Response system does?

Response = Cheap - ungraded.
Visonic = Graded.

Why we use graded equipment? Because it is tested and passes several tests that the others do not.

Both have battery back up, Visonic will last a bit longer. Another part of the testing.

Faraz, I always say get the best you can afford. For exactly yhr reason you mention. But either way it is a good system.

Remeber, it is not that hard to achieve grading. a lot of time, DIY supplier like response (Actually they are part of Nova, now Honeywell, the biggest alarm company on the planet) purposely exclude features to make it friendly, failing the standard at the same time.

In fact, a lot of time grading may only mean an increase cost in battery (lith etc) for the manufacturer since some function will consume more power.

it does not NECESSARY mean its less reliable. Just less confusing when u programming it. Regardless of what these manufacturer claims, these alarm are as advance as a calculator.

I personally find certain parameters insisted by BS/EN Grading very restrictive and a result of political decision.

since u probably doin fitting for home, i give example of grade 2. the standard ask devices to send supervision signal to panel every 20 min (or less), and that within 2 hours if no signal flag up fault light and Log. However it also mentioned if even one signal is lost, it will need to screen prompt (no F. light) user which essential makes them think the system stops working (which is not essentially true since anti-collision makes the data package smaller). Also one touch panel arming etc is not allowed etc. I feel if you doing it DIY, these restriction probably makes you panic (esp most ppl cannot get themselves to read the prog manual which is over 100 pages)

Rule of thumb. If you want a challenge, go for a graded system and live with the fault lights when you failed to set it properly (or call an installer), or choose a good brand DIY system, those are geared towards less competent DIYers.

The component used will be similar on the big brands, just how feature-rich or Dumb-but-user-friendly is for the interface.

This is a DIY forum and i am surprise people regularly dishing out advice to install graded pro-system. These system in the wrong hand can be a security hazzard, i.e. people thinking they have set it up, tested, but in fact its not working...

:confused:

Not going to go too far into your essay, but.

Cheaper non graded systems try to encompass lots of "tricks". This is where they fall over so much. And fail , actually they don't fail (grading) because the makers know they will not pass so do not offer them for testing.

It is true the "alerts" to name one type of warning can be a bit tricky. Professionals are asking, and have achieved a better way of warning the end user. Some of us here have had software and manuals changed because of this.
Certain contributors here sit on the "political decision" makers panel.

You mention "supervision" the real systems now have two way comms. The cheapo ( actually not cheap when you think about it) do not. I have to admit Visonic did not have two way until recently but it was still better than most!
And I am not involved with them in anyway apart from fitting the product.
As well as Honeywell, systems being fitted to RA and cost for the end user.

Your final paragraph is a little misleading. Yes this is a DIY forum. With professionals giving free advise. Hence we will reconmend certain items.
To not do so is an insult to our professionalism and to the person asking for honest and unbiased advice.
Certain people here will advocate one manufacturer only and insist it is the best.
That is narrow minded in its best.
Professionals will suggest the item most applicable, not use a blind product loyality. We have our favourites obviously, but we know what is correct for the application.

Also if something has been set up and tested, then it is working.
As you may be aware, NSI/NACOSS/SSAIB all suggest you walk test your system on a regular basis.
As do professional unregistered installers going for accreditation.
( That was added for Yale and his many friends, as I am sure his intentions and installations are good).
So I am unsure about your last comment.

The MOST improtant part of any alarm is not the equipment used.
I would be 100% confident in a back to back mock break in scenario against a pro system.

The biggest threat to security is poor system design.

There are Pro systems out there are set to fail from day one and involve high running costs for the end user.

There are also systems that were simply compromised because the end user would not follow the advice of the installer

It is true the "alerts" to name one type of warning can be a bit tricky. Professionals are asking, and have achieved a better way of warning the end user. Some of us here have had software and manuals changed because of this. .

Out of curiosity, how are these alarm system bypassing these "alerts" requirement?

Have they called it a different name? or? Can you give some example?

Out of curiosity, how are these alarm system bypassing these "alerts" requirement?

Have they called it a different name? or? Can you give some example?

It is not a by pass.
It is a way of acknowledging the fault flagged up. Ie mains fail, comms fail.
Line fail.
And a sequence to be followed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back