Wired, Wireless or Hybrid Home Alarm System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just about to move house and i would like to fit a good alarm system, but since i last did it many many years ago things on alarms have changed.

At this moment i'm abit wary of wireless and Hybrid systems. If i was going to go for one i'd think i'd go hybrid just can't see myself wanting to change the siren battery once it's up.

So here is what i'm looking for

3 Pir system
1 door contact and something for a patio
Control panel with dialer, but if possible option to disarm and rearm from phone or a web browser (don't know if that even exists)

With regards to wireless system, whats interference like.

Do they interfere with wireless computer networks or dect phones or even neighboring wireless alarms

I'll stop there for now. But i'd say a budget of about 300 to 400. Which i hope is a reasonable amount

Sponsored Links
Do they interfere with wireless computer networks or dect phones or even neighboring wireless alarms

They will interfere with any wireless equipment that uses the same radio frequency. How that equipment deals with interfence is up to that equipment.

Other equipment using the same radio frequency as your equipment will interfere with your equipment.

A good system will cope with most but not all interference. Poorly designed systems do not cope and some wireless alarms will fail to operate when there is prolonged interference from other equipment.

Is there a general Frequency Alrams operate on.

This is my fear with a wireless or hybrid system.

I'm so much more leaning towards a wired system but did not want the hassle of wiring it up.

But i'm still open minded so if some says this system works well and copes well with the issues i would still consider it

Thanks

Is there a general Frequency Alrams operate on.
This is my fear with a wireless or hybrid system.
There is a small number of frequencies which are permitted for use by Short Range Devices without the end user having to apply for a licence to transmit. They are refered to as being Licence Exempt. The transmitted power and amount of time they can transmit for is regulated and it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to ensure compliance. There is no control over how and where the equipment using these frequencies can be used Most important is that where there is interference that prevents a system operating the users have to sort it out between themselves. The one exception is where the interference can be proven to be from a transmitter(s) that does not comply with the regulations imposed on the manufacturer.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Just about to move house and i would like to fit a good alarm system, but since i last did it many many years ago things on alarms have changed.

At this moment i'm abit wary of wireless and Hybrid systems. If i was going to go for one i'd think i'd go hybrid just can't see myself wanting to change the siren battery once it's up.

So here is what i'm looking for

3 Pir system
1 door contact and something for a patio
Control panel with dialer, but if possible option to disarm and rearm from phone or a web browser (don't know if that even exists)

With regards to wireless system, whats interference like.

I'll stop there for now. But i'd say a budget of about 300 to 400. Which i hope is a reasonable amount

Keeping it simple, wireless systems are fine provided that you buy a good one i.e. Visonic, and do a radio test. 8 times out of 10 you'll be fine, but its better to check. You can get a wireless bell that uses mains power with a battery backup, so no regular battery changes. Hell it even speaks to you!

I'm not too clued up on the interference side, but as far as i know, the visonic changes frequency or something.

Hi

Just been goggling and searching forums

I'm leaning towards Honeywell Galaxy System or Texecom as a wired system

But i'd really like the ability

1) notification via sms or phone call if it goes off
2) Ability to monitor, set and disarm alarm remotely (simple via sms if it's cheaper)

The 2nd item is a nice to have but not killer in the choice.

Hi

Just been goggling and searching forums

I'm leaning towards Honeywell Galaxy System or Texecom as a wired system

But i'd really like the ability

1) notification via sms or phone call if it goes off
2) Ability to monitor, set and disarm alarm remotely (simple via sms if it's cheaper)

The 2nd item is a nice to have but not killer in the choice.

A speech dialler would call you if the alarm activated. Arming and disarming remotely, to me, is a waste of time.

You turn your alarm on when you leave, and off when you come in. Simple. You may argue that you may forget to set it, but really, it just becomes a habit or setting and unsetting.

Yes your right about the remote arm / disarm but like i said if can get nice to have.

A speed dialer i take it rings your phone or most have have more then 1 number is that correct ??

texecom premier48 with gsm unit ( pay as you go sim or contract required) you can receive text messages from activations arm, disarm, reset, ask for a status via your mobile plus you can add wireless detectors via a radio expander.

The Texecom will be out of budget with gsm unit

Anyway what is the difference between the texecom premier 48 or texecom premier 24

I'm just thinking use a speed dialer for now

buy a 24 kit then. 3 pirs 1 keypad 1 panel 5 fobs 1 comm2400 ( text message via your phone line ) you can add to at a later date.

buy a 24 kit then. 3 pirs 1 keypad 1 panel 5 fobs 1 comm2400 ( text message via your phone line ) you can add to at a later date.

You should NEVER rely on text messaging as your primary signalling method. Ever tried sending a text on new year's eve? Its exactly the same with the com2400 unless you buy the gsm unit, but it will put you out of your budget. Stick to a speech dialler pal

btw, the powermax has an inbuilt speech dialler :D

I think i'm convinced now not to relie on sms for primary alters. So thus far i'm pretty much set on getting

A Wired System with a Speech Dailler and probably Dual PIR's

In terms of the two systems i've looked at thus far i think

A Honeywell Galaxy G2 and Texecom premier 24 are the front runners with the Texecom having a slight edge.

Can i use any speech dialler for example with the texecom or would i need to get one of the seam brand

Any recommendations on Dialler or PIR of choice be help

http://www.e-fireandsecurity.co.uk/...uder-alarm-8-zone-grade-3-with-prox-kit/p4279

Why do manufacturers offer Polycarbonate and Metal Panels in thier an advantage ??

Also any site or people whom i should avoid purchasing off even if they cheaper then others

same effect with speech dialer if sending message to mobiles ( which most people use today) no network cover in bad area do you receive the call, no ! at least with a text as soon as you get into a good signal area you will get the text. sorry but its swings and roundabouts..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back