Chopping in window from horizontal to vertical

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chopping in window from horizontal to vertical

Was quoted 2 days work for this, may do it myself as i can only see it as 1 man day (ie wait for cement to dry), just want to check im doing it right.

1. Remove window
2. Chop out window aperture on internal external wall with Angle grinder.(how do i chop internal/external wall so they both line up? pilot holes?
3. Brick up hole left from horizontal position
4. Refit window vertical.

Anything ive missed :eek:

TIA

Sponsored Links
Hi Stuart,

render but the whole house is to be re rendered shortly.

Sponsored Links
Not if the misses stands behind me with her trusty henry hoover!!

do not try and get all the dust for safetys sake stand to one side 2 or 3 inches away from the grinder
9" grindes are big unweildy things the last thing you need is a hoover getting in the way
you will only ever get about 20% off the dust :rolleyes:

festive - consider hiring a masonry chainsaw - you'll be able to cut through internal & external walls simultaneously; water lubed so no real dust.

If you use an angle grinder consider taped-up/plakka tent to work in 'cos the dust WILL get everywhere in the house and it'll take you weeks to clean it all away

1. Remove window
15 minutes.
2. Chop out window aperture on internal external wall with Angle grinder.(how do i chop internal/external wall so they both line up? pilot holes?
You will be there until Christmas with an angle grinder; I assume you mean a “GDMF” diamond disc cutter which will take another 15 minutes to cut the opening but this includes getting it out of the case, filling with petrol & donning yourself with suitable repertory & eye protection; you can hire one but be very careful, they are one of the most dangerous pieces of kit I know but thery are very quick! No experience with masonry chainsaw; might be interesting!
3. Brick up hole left from horizontal position
Don’t brick it up; you will breach the cavity & allow damp to permeate into the internal wall. Use a cavity closer (or a lump of damp proof membrane if you’re tight!), stick on one or two pieces of plasterboard (trade grab adhesive) & then stick on your cill.
4. Refit window vertical.
Fine.
Anything ive missed :eek:
All the stuff the others have mentioned + finishing of the exposed reveals with more cavity closers, more plasterboard & plastering to finish.

Seen those Masonry chainsaw used a few times and they are mean pieces of machines! :cool:

As for lining up for new hole, drill some holes on each corner right the way through then use a chalk line from point to point. You now have your exact measurements on both sides of the wall.

you're fakin not wrong mate! Still not got round to doin it, but thanks to all of you for your advice/help and ****taking comments ;)

you could mark the window on the inside and drill holes every 10mm , it will save the dust on the inside and chop out quite easy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back