Chopsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old budget chop saw has seen better days and i am now heading towards internal work and a lot of timberwork so was looking for a replacement.

My main criteria was for it to have dual bevel facility.

I run dewalt tools and had seen the cordless model used a few times online so this was teh obvious choice. WOW would never have seen that price coming as i always think dewalt bare units are fairly reasonably priced for what you get.

The corded version was not much better. Very expensive for what i think is a fairly basic tool. If i was going wired then brand didnt matter and i had the hole market to go for.

I ended up with a Erbauer (Screwfix) Link . I have heard good things about the brand and just couldnt justify the price increase to a bigger brand. Other than Evolution the other brands are 3 times as much minimum. How is this the case??

Anyone use this brand. I havent opened it yet and picked it up as i was in there for another reason so it can be returned if they are pants but it had good reviews.

Sponsored Links
I've used the dewalt cordless and for what it dose it's brilliant.
Just think the branded stuff like dewalt lasts longer with better build but if you are not using everyday why buy. I have a evolution and dose me for the once a month I use

I have 1 large house to do. I normally don't mind spending money on tools as I save in not paying people to do the work and believe decent tools will last me a lifetime but under £200 vs circa £600 seemed very disproportionate compared to say a jigsaw, circular saw, drill etc

Maybe its going to be down to you to road test that saw! A lot of the people who would normally comment on saws have probably spent a bit more.
Can't really argue for the price.

Sponsored Links
Consider hire shop for some tools but I think you will be fine with the chop saw. I have festool kit but also titan and Worx. My ladders are a pain though taking space and other access equipment. I wouldn't buy that again I'd hire.

My main criteria was for it to have dual bevel facility.

I bought a used DeWalt double-bevel sliding beast for around £250 for the same reason. It's done me proud on two extensions and there's nothing it won't cut (something like 50 degree bevel both ways, 60 degree mitre both ways) but annoyingly I feel it's too big to keep long term. If you're around Berkshire way we could do a deal.

Thanks for the offer. I think it may be too far away depending on exact location. I am @ J6 of the M25.

I find With mitre saws you pay for the quality in terms of speed and consistency of setup.
With my cheap end version saw I have to check that angles of blade in all three axis has not changed.
And it can change whilst cutting.
And if I saw multiple cots at say 45deg and then 90deg and back again, I have to check angles each time.
But I am a infrequent user so budget is first for me so is okay for me.
If in Trade it is a different matter.

Regarding Evolution saws, my issue with those is that they use a different hole size (25.4mm) in middle of blade compared to majority of avaliable blades. So this can decrease availability and selection type (only 1 on Screwfix for each saw blade size whereas others have Several to choose from) and increase cost.

Erbauer saws use normal sized holes in their blades which is good for you.

SFK

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer. I think it may be too far away depending on exact location. I am @ J6 of the M25.

I'll PM you the details. There are normally a few on eBay/etc so there may be one more local to you. If you buy a used one from a decent brand you'll probably find it'll hold it's value then you can get your money back in a year or so.

Gave the saw a good hit this weekend. It is so much more powerful than my old saw and more than enough for what I need it for. It was almost perfect out the box with just a minor amendment required.

I am not sure what other features the more expensive units offer as this seems to have everything you would need but maybe they are just more hard wearing for professional use.

I ended up with a Erbauer (Screwfix) Link . I have heard good things about the brand and just couldnt justify the price increase to a bigger brand. Other than Evolution the other brands are 3 times as much minimum. How is this the case??

My saw is likely the same one, but a different name on it. I bought it new 7 years ago, for around £60 on special at Argos. I have no regrets about its purchase. It just gets occaissional use, but works well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back