DeWalt 18v Drill on offer at Screwfix; any good?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18243

Screwfix have the following currently on offer:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73596...l;jsessionid=NHPDXRHX2M442CSTHZOCFFQ?ts=64788

For £99.99 reduced from £199.99 - although in their latest catalogue which arrived in this morning's post the price stated is £86.95 reduced from £173.90.

Does anyone have one of these? Is it good? Does it have all metal gearing? (Screwfix advertise some DeWalt drills as having this, but it's not mentioned on this particular model).

I've always wanted a cordless DeWalt drill. A place I once worked for had a few of them in the tool store, along with other cordless drills by Makita, Erbauer and Black & Decker. The early birds always took the DeWalts, leaving the Makitas as second choice, and the Erbauers for the latecomers. Nobody wanted to use the Black and Decker. Having used all of them, for long and heavy use, I found the DeWalts to be superior.

Sponsored Links
These look the bottom of the range Dewalts. I very much doubt they got metal gears with only 41Nm of torque. I suspect it will be on par with the Makita 8390/8391 18V cordless which has similar specs.

The UK Dewalt site says that the DC725 has all metal gearing... it also has a 13mm chuck, so that's not bad. If you expect to use it a lot, you might check how expensive it is to change the brushes on the motor. Some of the cheap Dewalts are scary expensive for maintenance.

It only comes with 1.3Ah batteries, which is probably the key reason for the price being so low. In my experience, they ran down quite quickly, and they were the first batteries of mine to die completely, and I suspect this is somewhat related to the low Ah rating. (I can't prove that, though.)

On the plus side, the 1.3Ah batteries are nice and light.

For what it's worth, I've been using Dewalt 18v nicad cordless tools professionally for about 7 years, and I've been fairly happy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies - I bought the drill today and am happy with it. It is as good as the ones I used to work with.

I emailed De Walt as I couldn't find the drill's part number (DC100KA) on their website. They replied saying that the part number is the number of Screwfix's package and the drill itself is a DC725. It does have all metal gearing.

It won't be getting very heavy use so I'm OK about the small batteries.

Thanks for all the replies - I bought the drill today and am happy with it. It is as good as the ones I used to work with.

I emailed De Walt as I couldn't find the drill's part number (DC100KA) on their website. They replied saying that the part number is the number of Screwfix's package and the drill itself is a DC725. It does have all metal gearing.

It won't be getting very heavy use so I'm OK about the small batteries.

i've got the dewalt dc725 which has the metal gears but it also has a metal chuck
i notice that one only has the plastic chuck.

sorry just checked mine is a dc925 xrp

This is an interesting thread (new to this forum).

Awareness >>> Black & Decker acquired DeWalt in 1960. B&D are huge in the US.

I have the Dewalt DC 725 package (DC100KA). What attracted me was the Brand name of Dewalt and the trade saying "Dewalt, Dewalt, Dewalt....". I always have a lot of DIY projects on(remote mountain farm)

However, I also have the B&DHP188F3B here http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/HP188F3B/ Over the last 10 years I was "turned off" Black and Decker by the perception it was the low end of the market and not tough enough for the jobs I had - everything from ckicken runs to room renovation and some new building work. But this product has a 2 year guarantee, higher NM torque, larger batteries, more torque settings, and is very similar / equal in every aspect of the Dewalt
I still have an old B&D 12v cordless drill (used for light work) still going strong after 18 years. So I thought what the heck - try the B&D combi hammer drill. I will let you know how I get on with the B&D v Dewalt.

So far it's been very impressive. My trust and faith in Black and Decker is restored. I think there is a degree of snobbery with regard to Branding dues to "mind share". Of course the industry will tell you that Milwaukee products are even better again

Lowest price available for both (B&D / Dewalt) from B&Q £84.95/£99.99 respectively.

i bought this package,

drills the usual stuff no problem,

big step up from my 9.6v bosch my dad bought me 6+ years ago. easy to knacker screw heads with though!

i used it to drill some 6mm holes in concrete blocks as well, drilled it, but i think i'll use my corded power drill for those jobs.

battery felt like it doesn't last long, but I was doing a fair bit of work, 1hr charge made up for it (as long as you remember to put the 2nd battery on to charge)

i also found the light usefull when you are trying to drill in awkward spots or find the head of a screw.

b]I bought one of these drills 2 weeks ago and have used it to install a kitchen and some over work. The drill performs well but the batterys go flat each day.they are probably not powerful enough.[/b] size=18][/size]

Handy to know as i was planning on getting one soon to do the house up.

Want to get some other bits but the only thing my dad doesnt really have is a decent cordless. His 20 year old B&D corded will handle anything that this cant until i can justify getting an SDS.

Put it this way, if you connected a piece of string two the two chucks one on my Hilti 15v 3ah hammer pistol drill and the other end to your dewalt A the hilti would wind the deqalt in so fast you couldn't even get time to pull the trigger but the dewalt would probably fall to pieces. If it did survive the test the trigger switch would fail you as all dewalt 18v gear I have ever owned has dies from trigger failure or burnout within a year.

And i think I paid £150 SH nearly new for a drill two batteries and charger off German Ebay when th epound was strong. It has outperformed any 18 volt pistol drill I have set it against except Festool, but they don't do an equivalent.

It also drills 6.5mm masonry holes in houses ov various construction faster than an sds drill (unless that's a hilti).

the dewalt would probably fall to pieces. If it did survive the test the trigger switch would fail you as all dewalt 18v gear I have ever owned has dies from trigger failure or burnout within a year.

I'd pretty much run with that...

It's got DeWalt written on the side, so no, it'll be crap. Might last OK as a DIY tool but used every day for trade use it'll be no good at all. I went DeWalt for a while as I was taken in by the perception of quality. On five tools (two 18v XRP combis, an 18v angle drill and two 18v impact drivers), I've suffered trigger failure (twice), torque ring failure (four or five times...lost count), gearbox failure (twice), burnout and the failure of six 3.0aH batteries, which stopped taking charge despite being carefully looked after according to DeWalt's own instructions. This was all in the space of about 15 months.

Take a look at Ryobi for light/medium use, or the Bosch Professional range for everyday use (lovely 3-year warranties with five day turnaround, not that I've ever had to use it). Not used Hilti so can't comment there although have heard a lot of good stuff about them along with frightening price tags. Looks like PB got a good deal on his.

Yes about 5 years ago a mate and I wore out two full sets of dewalt gear in a year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back