DeWalt 18v Drill on offer at Screwfix; any good?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
I observed a mention of Dewalt and Black & Decker drills in one of the threads here, but did you know that they were made at the same company in Spennymoor, Co.Durham, England?

Anyway, I would like to put up blinds on a regular basis and would need a cordless hammer drill myself.
What can you recommend for about £100 ?

Sponsored Links
the dewalt would probably fall to pieces. If it did survive the test the trigger switch would fail you as all dewalt 18v gear I have ever owned has dies from trigger failure or burnout within a year.

I'd pretty much run with that...

It's got DeWalt written on the side, so no, it'll be crap. Might last OK as a DIY tool but used every day for trade use it'll be no good at all. I went DeWalt for a while as I was taken in by the perception of quality. On five tools (two 18v XRP combis, an 18v angle drill and two 18v impact drivers), I've suffered trigger failure (twice), torque ring failure (four or five times...lost count), gearbox failure (twice), burnout and the failure of six 3.0aH batteries, which stopped taking charge despite being carefully looked after according to DeWalt's own instructions. This was all in the space of about 15 months.

Take a look at Ryobi for light/medium use, or the Bosch Professional range for everyday use (lovely 3-year warranties with five day turnaround, not that I've ever had to use it). Not used Hilti so can't comment there although have heard a lot of good stuff about them along with frightening price tags. Looks like PB got a good deal on his.

I have a 14.4v Dewalt for over 7 years. I have absolutely hammered it, excuse the pun and it point blankly refuses to die, it has had new batteries but that is to be expected. It is used for security installation work so it has not had an easy life either. It has surpassed all me expectations. I have a 24v Bosch SDS and that has been pretty amazing too.

Hilti are very good drills.

I would not buy a combination drill without a metal chuck though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back