Christianity facing elimination

So many organisations bend over backwards to make sure other faiths aren't offended by Christian ceremonies etc, even when other faiths stand up say say hey no problem; there's too many Christian apologists out there trying to show how pious and politically correct they are, and it is an insidious form of condemnation that slowly getting out of hand.
I fail to see how pluralism can be interpreted as condemnation of Christians.

Sponsored Links
selective quoting by jockscott, I see.

Why is jockscott talking as if someone has claimed that Christian Voice encourages beheadings? Is he unable to deal with what was actually said, rather than what he's invented?

I haven't claimed that Christian Voice has encouraged beheadings, and well you know it. I've simply asked him to show where Christianity has called for beheadings, stonings etc. Can he show me where Christianity (in today's world) is scaring people, into it's beliefs? Himaginn claims Islam is the religion of peace. (see the text I highlighted in the quote) I've asked for him to show me that Islam truly is a "religion of peace" I will give him time to reply though.

Quotes from the Bible:

Murder
"If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death."
"For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death."

Genocide
"When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. . . . This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby. However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Completely destroy them— the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you."

There have been many massacres by Christians in recent times, including massacres of Muslims. And as for scaring people, the Reverend Dr (1) Ian Paisley was not averse to scaring the beejaysus out of people with threats if they did not conform to his version of Christianity. There are plenty of extreme Christians in Africa. Catholics are known for guilt, and the threat of suffering for non conformance. Eternal damnation, burning in hell etc.

Of course the vast majority of Christians are peaceable. The truth is that many, maybe all, religions have unsavoury aspects to them. The nature of theistic religions such as Christianity and Islam is an appeal to a divine being, which kind of shuts out all argument, God says so, that's it, argument closed.

(1) His doctorate was effectively a fake one.

and would prefer Blighty to remain as is.
That applies to all change; not just Islam.

I dare say such people would prefer the West Indians had not come here in the fifties.

Not to mention those Celts from Portugal, or the Saxons and Angles from Germany.

Or the bloody Vikings settling in York.

Don't get me started on the Romans and the Huguenots.

Or the Normans destroying our heritage, and the Scots, Germans and Greeks taking over the English Crown.

And don't get me onto those single celled organisms that first crawled out of the sea and colonised the land. Bloody single celled immigrants. (There is a good YouTube video by Stewart Lee on this theme. I don't like his left wing politics, but he can be very funny.)

Sponsored Links
Quotes from the Bible:
This was a small passage in the following piece that I referred to yesterday:
Plato showed long ago why God’s say-so doesn’t answer the question of why some things are right and others wrong. If things were good only because God commanded them, then morality would be hollow and God could as easily demand murder as prohibit it. So God only gave us his commandments because they were the right ones to follow in the first place. That means they are right whether God tells us about them or not.

However, trying to find that piece made me realise that the follow-on piece may not be the same each time, so I've added a link to that particular piece here: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/religion/2016/01/ten-commandments-modern-age
Worth reading, imho.

Quotes from the Bible:
Plato showed long ago why God’s say-so doesn’t answer the question of why some things are right and others wrong. If things were good only because God commanded them, then morality would be hollow and God could as easily demand murder as prohibit it. So God only gave us his commandments because they were the right ones to follow in the first place. That means they are right whether God tells us about them or not.

However, trying to find that piece made me realise that the follow-on piece may not be the same each time, so I've added a link to that particular piece here: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/religion/2016/01/ten-commandments-modern-age
Worth reading, imho.

Oooh dear, it has text by that Winterson creature. I read some of it, and she rambles on as badly as she does on BBC Question Time etc.

Quotes from the Bible:

Worth reading, imho.

Oooh dear, it has text by that Winterson creature. I read some of it, and she rambles on as badly as she does on BBC Question Time etc.
I can't take issue with that. The other writers did seem to be more erudite than Jeanette Winterson

Why is jockscott talking as if someone has claimed that Christian Voice encourages beheadings? Is he unable to deal with what was actually said, rather than what he's invented?

I haven't claimed that Christian Voice has encouraged beheadings, and well you know it. I've simply asked him to show where Christianity has called for beheadings, stonings etc. Can he show me where Christianity (in today's world) is scaring people, into it's beliefs? Himaginn claims Islam is the religion of peace. (see the text I highlighted in the quote) I've asked for him to show me that Islam truly is a "religion of peace" I will give him time to reply though.

Quotes from the Bible:

Murder
"For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death."

Genocide
"When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. . . . This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby. However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Completely destroy them— the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you."

There have been many massacres by Christians in recent times, including massacres of Muslims. And as for scaring people, the Reverend Dr (1) Ian Paisley was not averse to scaring the beejaysus out of people with threats if they did not conform to his version of Christianity. There are plenty of extreme Christians in Africa. Catholics are known for guilt, and the threat of suffering for non conformance. Eternal damnation, burning in hell etc.

Of course the vast majority of Christians are peaceable. The truth is that many, maybe all, religions have unsavoury aspects to them. The nature of theistic religions such as Christianity and Islam is an appeal to a divine being, which kind of shuts out all argument, God says so, that's it, argument closed.

He got his doctorate from the Bob Jones university of South Carolina, I don't think the Bob Jones is a fake university.

Quotes from the Bible:

Murder

Genocide

He got his doctorate from the Bob Jones university of South Carolina, I don't think the Bob Jones is a fake university.
It was a honorary award. Note the description "fundamentalist university".
In the 1960s, Paisley developed a relationship with the fundamentalist Bob Jones University located in Greenville, South Carolina. In 1966, he received an honorary doctorate of divinity from the institution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Paisley

But Ian Paisley seems to have done far much more with his honorary doctorate than most academics do with their real ones..

Quotes from the Bible:

Murder

Genocide

It was a honorary award. Note the description "fundamentalist university".
In the 1960s, Paisley developed a relationship with the fundamentalist Bob Jones University located in Greenville, South Carolina. In 1966, he received an honorary doctorate of divinity from the institution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Paisley
Honory doesn't mean fake, not according to the dictionary anyway, you seem to be allowing your own prejudices affect your judgement.
Does the Bob Jones university describe itself as a "Fundamentalist" university, you could describe Wikipedia as a "fake" encyclopedia.

Honory doesn't mean fake, not according to the dictionary anyway, you seem to be allowing your own prejudices affect your judgement.
Not at all.
What WWT said was:
He didn't say the uni was fake.

Does the Bob Jones university describe itself as a "Fundamentalist" university, you could describe Wikipedia as a "fake" encyclopedia.
You could.
Bob Jones University (BJU) is a private non-denominational Protestant university inGreenville, South Carolina, known for its conservative cultural and religious positions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jones_University
Bob Jones University is a Christian, liberal arts university focused on educating the whole person to reflect and serve Jesus Christ.
http://www.bju.edu/about/

How would you describe it?

Sponsored Links
Back