Christmas

• Thread starter Bodgeit and scarper ltd
  • Start date
B

Bodgeit and scarper ltd

Christmas I hate it, well I do now, it was ok when I was a shopkeeper. I spent Christmas day counting the money! What’s it all about anyway apart from someone getting crucified for being a troublemaker! :eek:

Sponsored Links
To be honest i don't think its about that any more is it?? I bet more people go to the pub on Christmas day than go to Church!

It's just an obscene waste of money.

I finally sat the Mrs down this year and insisted that we severly limit the spend on the kids this year. I have four kids and in previous years in has not been unusual to spend £700 - £800 per child in prezzies, which is ludicrous. This year we have told the kids that they get £150 each and that's their lot. If it was upto me they would get £50 each , but that's the lowest I could her in doors to settle for.

It reminds of a news report I read a while ago that said that the average cost of a large free range turkey would top £100 this year. WTF is all that about ? :confused:

Bah Humbug !

Sponsored Links
Suicide rates go up, domestic violence increases, so much for the season of goodwill to all men.

Suicide rates go up, domestic violence increases, so much for the season of goodwill to all men.

At least we'll have some deaths, murders, and/or divorces in Eastenders, Coronation Street and Emmerdale to cheer us all up!

I always thought i'd enjoy Christmas once i'd got children but the grandparents spend far too much on them which ensures a 'lets see who can buy the most presents' competition through the whole family. Therefore the kids end up with far more presents than they want, need or can feasibly play with and which we haven't room for. Our son still has three or four toys that he plays with all the time and the rest (loads of them) never get looked at. I seem to spend Novemember and December getting others to think of something they want for us to buy and thinking of things i want for other to buy me - and 9 times out of 10, they don't really want anything and i don't really want anything.

Make a donation to Clic Sargent then and help kids with cancer - get a warm glow through doing some good, and no one ends up with piles of crappy xmas presents they neither need nor want.

Christmas just seems to be all about getting presents now, I enjoy the family side of Christmas, everyone getting together round the table for the big roast!

Make a donation to Clic Sargent then and help kids with cancer - get a warm glow through doing some good, and no one ends up with piles of rubbishy xmas presents they neither need nor want.

I think its a great idea - however there is more chance of knitting fog than caonvincing the missus that we should do that!

I organise a get together for a load of friends a few times a year and for our chirstmas do this year everyone that comes is making a donation to The Gambia Horse and Donkey Trust charity rather than buying presents or cards for each other. Hopefully we'll make a decent contribution towards their work in the Gambia and give someone there a better Christmas present than a DVD would be to someone here!

I prefer the much more traditional Yule celebration which ties up with the winter solstice and celebration of the passing of the shortest day and looking forward to the coming of lighter nights and spring and summer.

Do spring and summer still exist? I thought we'd morphed into two seasons in this country Oct-March cold, wet season, Apr-Sept bit warmer wet season?

Can't wait for lighter nights though - in the office most days 8am - 5pm so only get to see daylight at weekends at this time of year :(

Christmas just seems to be all about getting presents now, I enjoy the family side of Christmas, everyone getting together round the table for the big roast!

Definitely the best bit in my opinion too! A bit of harmless gluttony without guilt :LOL:

I'm not a parent, but I've got a godson. This which means I get to be the fun uncle who buys him sweets but doesn't have to deal with the hyperactivity half an hour later. Awesome.:cool:

Do children want the latest expensive gadgets, or is it that parents want to give their children the best present they can get? Just thinking.

Christmas just starts too early now, there are stores putting out crackers and stuff in September as they all compete for the Christmas dosh.

Me and the OH don't do pressies at Christmas as it really is a waste of time, we usually wait until the sales are on and treat ourselves to something then or book a winter sun break.

The true spirit of Christmas is long gone :( Kids supply wish lists that make your legs go weak :eek: Christmas works parties which most of the time people would try to avoid :LOL:

Christmas should be renamed as the Winter Retail Celebration.

(Bah Humbug)

Christmas just starts too early now, there are stores putting out crackers and stuff in September as they all compete for the Christmas dosh.

Christmas works parties which most of the time people would try to avoid

(Bah Humbug)

Couldn't agree more - our gaffa leaves organising our work do to the last minute and every year i hope it'll turn out to be too late to organise. Spend enough time as it is with 'certain' people in the office - without spending my personal time with them too!!

Any mention of christmas should be illegal until after the first sunday in Advent - can't see why anyone needs more than 4 weeks to get ready for Christmas. Oh well..... it'll soon have been and gone - then we can start buying Easter Eggs!!!!

Sponsored Links
Back