Chrome Cover Plates over plastic switch plates

@EFLImpudence, I don't 'seem to think' anything of the sort, I came here to ask, from a position of ignorance, if the fitting met the regulations, as I had read (on an electricians forum) to the contrary. It would seem the short answer is that there are as many opinions as there are electricians!
I can't see how any electrician who had actually read and understood the regulations could believe that there was a requirement for your covers to be earthed - and I would hope that they would also have enough understanding of electric principles to realise that it is, at least theoretically, preferable (fractionally 'safer') that they should not be earthed.

I can but presume that those who suggest that earthing is required must be thinking of switches which themselves have metal faceplates (and definitely do need to be earthed), rather than of things that are merely metal covers over plastic switches.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
John, that is certainly possible, as the cover plates to which my query relates seem to be a lot less common these days as opposed to say 10 years ago. EFLImpudence there really is no need to take umbrage, I welcome any contribution to my knowledge in this area, your phrasing was just a little strong as I can only repeat that I did not 'seem to think' anything other than what I had read. Thanks all for your advice.

Not saying there aren't any on the market, but I have never seen them.

These things were available 40 years or more ago. They were brass then, and places like Argos did them.

They did have a label on the back going on about earthing, and as I recall they came with brass screws.

They were designed to fit over nearly every light switch, except the old fashioned MK and MEM television screen shaped switches, of which there were many many still around circa 1980.

Never fitted any, but removed a few.

It was one of those gimmicks that the homeowners could fit, as 'no actual electrical wiring work' was required.

A bit like another Argos wonder product - the fluorescent light fitting that simply plugs into a battenholder.

Sponsored Links
John, that is certainly possible, as the cover plates to which my query relates seem to be a lot less common these days as opposed to say 10 years ago.
That may well be true, but electrical principles have not changed in 10 years, nor even in 100 years, and anyone safe enough to be regarded as an 'electrician' ought to understand that such things do not need to be (and, as I've said, arguably 'should not be') earthed!

Kind Regards, John

That may well be true, but electrical principles have not changed in 10 years, nor even in 100 years, and anyone safe enough to be regarded as an 'electrician' ought to understand that such things do not need to be (and, as I've said, arguably 'should not be') earthed!

Kind Regards, John

All I meant was that the board I mentioned may well have been talking about switches with metal faceplates, exactly as you suggested.

FWIW these are still available today https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switch-Con...07467720&sprefix=switch+covers,aps,159&sr=8-9

All I meant was that the board I mentioned may well have been talking about switches with metal faceplates, exactly as you suggested.
Fair enough. If they were, then, as I said, that's a totally different matter. In the case of accessories with all-metal faceplates, it is essential that they are earthed.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back