Chrome Light Switcjhes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently modernising decorating an old property, the wiring to the light switches only has Live & neutral and no earth. I really wanted to install chrome / metal light switches but have a feeling I would be unable to do this without an earth wire in the wiring? Could anyone advise or how can earth wiring be installed if needed please?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Is the wiring run in metal conduit ?If so that will have been used as an earth .If the conduit is an earth run an earth cable from the swith to the metel backing box

More answers will follow but firstly I will say I wouldn't decorate over a cable so old it doesn’t have an earth as its overdue replacing anyway.

Because any earth not part of the cable has to be 4mm and it has to follow the same path as the live cables to retro fit an earth wire is as much work as changing the whole cable.

My dad's house built 1954 has earth wires in lighting and has rubber insulated cables. Not sure what year earth wires in lighting circuits was called for but Electrical Safety Council has some guidance see ESC Best Practice Guide No.1 Replacing a consumer unit in domestic premises where lighting circuits have no protective conductor.
I do not agree with the idea of continuing to use lighting with no earth and it is against the regulations but The Electrical Safety Council do seem to condone it when certain conditions are met.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what year earth wires in lighting circuits was called for

14th Ed. 1966:

D2. In every installation operating at a voltage exceeding ELV, a consumer's earthing terminal shall be provided adjacent to the consumer's terminals.
Throughout every circuit of such an installation, an earth-continuity conductor complying with Regs. D.27-30 shall be provided and connected to the consumer's earthing terminal.

Further:

D6. At every lighting point an earthing terminal shall be provided and connected to the earth-continuity conductor of the final sub-circuit.

So with a PIR every ten years the lack of earth in lighting should have been raised 4 times so really by now something should have been done about it.

However reading this post it seems some firm did a PIR in half an hour so with workmanship like that one can understand how it is missed!

I have argued many times it should no longer be considered a code 4 and should be code 2 where class II items are used. To me previous edition of BS7671:2008 was BS7671:2001.

However I can also see why people would not want to pay for a re-wire. And I can't see how as ESC recommend refusing to fit a consumer unit with a RCD helps! and as far as disconnecting the lighting circuits I was under impression we do not have the right to remove a supply. Only the supplier has that right and to do so involves also sorts of legal problems in ensuring alternative accommodation is available.

However in a commercial premises we as electricians have the right to countermand the decision of the managing director where electrical safety is involved. Doesn't stop him dispensing with your services though!
But it is what the HSE remind us every time we say "I told him it was dangerous but he wouldn't let me turn it off"!

However with item like this available in B&Q one may be able to have a chrome look switch as the switch is not connected to the low voltage supply but is wireless and runs from a CR2032 Lithium coin cell battery.
I think one may also be able to get a chrome effect rather than real chrome and still be a class II plastic switch.

It will take some finding but google is a great tool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back