Chrome Sockets and Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am thinking of installing some chrome light switches and sockets.

Light Switches:

Looking at the existing wiring, the light switches (faceplates) are currently plastic and have metal back boxes set into the wall. The metal back boxes have earth wires connected to them. So is it just a case of replacing the plastic switch with the chrome one? And will the screws from the faceplate to the back box earth the face plate? Or does something else need to be done?

Wall Sockets

I have not looked at the currently wiring but I presume that it is the standard L, N, E arrangement. Presumably for these the back box and faceplate don't have a bespoke earth connection. Will they need to have one with a chrome faceplate attached? And if so how do people do this?

Just trying not to die!

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
Light switches - No, you must earth the faceplate with a wire.

Wall sockets - The same; they will have terminals.

It will - although it would be better to connect the actual earth wires (if long enough) to the faceplate with the length of wire to the back box.

Sponsored Links
Seems like it used to be fashionable to wire the socket earths to the backbox, then link it to the socket. I don't like that way (many reasons!) and I don't think it is recommended practice any more. Wire both (or more) earths to the terminal(s) on the socket and then add a lead from there to the back box. Normally either socket earth terminal, if there are two, will include a connection to the face and the screw holes so everything is covered, but check the instructions for yours.

You must also confirm/prove that the outlets/accessories do have a fault path to earth. Just because there are cables there suggesting an earth is present, does not always mean there is continuity or even an earth arrangement at all.

Thanks for the info. Halfway throught changing the light switches. Some have three of four earth wires going into them, so i have had to run them into "chock blocks" with a feed off of tha feeding the faceplate.

In leymans terns how would i check the continuity of the earths?

Thanks

Using a test meter that can read low ohms continuity and following the links supplied by BAS.
You should do this prior to installing any metallic face plates.

But continuity is one thing, have you determined if you have a faulty path to earth at the supply.

All face plates installed, and used!

I looked at the supplied links a number of times, but it is a bit like reading Russian. Struggling to make head nor tail of it.

So, so far i have not tested for continuity or if I have a faulty path to earth at the supply.

Ah ok, I now understand the continuity test. Running a wire from the earthing point next to the CU to a multimeter and then connecting the multimeter to the earth inside each switch and checking for a circuit.

That sounds do-able if I can find about 50m of wire to run from the CU and the furthest switch :(

As the light switches are installed and in use and no shocks so far, does this mean it is safe? Or is that false hope?

As the light switches are installed and in use and no shocks so far, does this mean it is safe?
No.

With no earth, nothing will happen until some fault occurs where one of the other wires contacts the metal plate. The metal switch will then be live, and anyone touching it gets a shock.
With the earth properly connected, the fuse or circuit breaker will disconnect the supply as soon as the fault occurs. No one gets a shock.

No.

With no earth, nothing will happen until some fault occurs where one of the other wires contacts the metal plate. The metal switch will then be live, and anyone touching it gets a shock.
With the earth properly connected, the fuse or circuit breaker will disconnect the supply as soon as the fault occurs. No one gets a shock.

So will the above continuity check go a long way to mitigating this risk on the light switches?

I presume the wall sockets are lower risk, as their earths can be tested by using something such as this..

mYvUNjlvc8dX8Zh3az8AyhQ.jpg

As the light switches are installed and in use and no shocks so far, does this mean it is safe? Or is that false hope?
I've been driving for over 40 years, in this country, in the USA and a lot of mainland Europe.

In every single journey I could have not worn a seat belt, and not had airbags, and I would still be absolutely fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back