Circuit breaker trips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the past few days, our upstairs lighting circuit breaker has been triping out about twice a day. It's not triggered by something being turned on, it's pretty random.
The house was rewired about 4 years ago, so I don't think it's dodgy wiring.
Do you get faulty MCB's, - should I have that changed?
We use energy saving light bulbs, could a dodgy one of these cause the problem?

Thanks Stu.

Sponsored Links
You can get faulty MCB's but very rarely.
It is more than likely a loose terminal connection at one of the lighting units or switches - EDIT which (to satify Bernard) has led to a loose conductor short circuiting.
Alternatively, and I'm starting to see this a lot now, a damaged lamp especially where the old incandescent has been replaced with a energy saving one and there is insufficient space between the lamp unit and the lamp shade.
You will need to check each terminal and lamp along the circuit route.

I take it you haven't changed anything recently?

It is more than likely a loose terminal connection at one of the lighting units or switches.

How would a loose connection INCREASE the current ? It would reduce the current.

Unless it is so loose that the wire has come out and is now shorting to something.

Thanks.
Nothing has been changed. The fault just started on it's own.

I'll check the light fittings.

Stu.

Sponsored Links
I did have a dodgy cable on my rewire. Along its length somewhere it was shorting switched live to earth. But this only manifested itself about a month after the rewire.

If your mcb it tripping a couple of times a day and your are not switching anything I would think there problem is a thermal trip, as said before prob loose connection (arcing)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back