Circuit Capacity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have finally seen sense and realised I have a golden opportunity with the ceilings down to put in a seperate circuit for the kitchen sockets.

With the kitchen off the downstairs ring, should I do some calculations and see if this can be downgraded to be protected by a 20 Amp breaker, it is 32 Amp at the moment. For that matter should I see if the kitchen could be run with a 20 Amp breaker?

Or is it a case of stick to 32 Amp regardless?

Also, are MCBs universal or will I have to get one specific to my CU?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No make it 32A ring.

1) because thats what everyone does. Always best to go with the flow unless theres a reason.
2) Maybe 20A would be enough now, but next year you are just bound to get tht dohicky that needs zillions of amps. Or anyway his and hers kettles and toasters.

Mcbs are slightly universal. A different brand may or may not fit.

generally best to stick to the same brand as your CU

while other brands may fit the fit is unlikely to be perfect (sometimes you have no real choice ofc because the range your CU was from no longer exists) and it is very likely to not fit at all unless you specifically selected it to match up

Good stuff. Thanks for that.

The CU is a 17 year old Hager. Any idea on likelihood of getting the correct breaker for this?

Sponsored Links
Ask Hager.

Or remove an MCB, trundle to a wholesaler that stocks Hager, and see if they are the same shape...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back