Circular blade for ply

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I don't do much woodwork, have a 6" saw that I mostly use taking up old floors, sometimes laminated worktops, so use a coarse TCT blade that cheerfully goes through the occasional nail or screw I've missed.

I have been cutting some new ply recently, and had bad splintering on both sides. Maybe my blade is getting blunt, or maybe I should get a more suitable blade. What would that be?

Sponsored Links
Like everything else, ply aint what it used to be - often sourced from the Orient.
By all means use a new, fine toothed blade and try to get your cut with the grain of the final veneer.....it'll shred like hell otherwise. Some tape over the cut isn't a bad idea either.
John :)

try to get your cut with the grain of the final veneer
Can't be done. I have to cut both ways.

But I will try your tape idea, thanks, and maybe try scoring along the line.

6" blades do not seem common, but I checked the box. Unfortunately I am quite clumsy with a panel saw as well.

Last edited:
You said it yourself - coarse TCT blade that's hit a few nails..... As burnerman says use a fine tooth blade. I'd also agree that pre-scoring with a knife and straight edge (back edge of your saw?) for any cross grain cuts is a good idea. If you can make all circular saw cuts from the same side of the ply and you'll find the cut edges on the underside far better (works for Contiboard, too)

Sponsored Links
Yes. Big fingers, small screen. Can work in your favour though - been somewhere last week where one of the guys had "Compound Manager" emblazoned on his hard hat. Apparently his boss typed in "Complete T@@@@r" but the spell check on his Dymo auto corrected...... ;)

also the blade should be protruding out by two teeth or about 1.5-3mm below the surface

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back