circular saw blades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at replacing my circular saw blade, as I want to do some fine woodwork and my current blade is only for ripping.

What should I be looking for in a blade to ensure a finer cut with no splintering?

My current blade is 254mm. Can I fit a blade that is smaller/larger than this (I've seen 250 and 255 sizes available)

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo jeffke and welcome :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

freud pro 60 tooth slow progress when ripping but the finnish can be so smooth a light sanding can give you a finnished surface

254 is 10" 255 will fit as will 250 as your + 0.5mm or -2mm so should be ok

the bore is the most important measurement
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=37497

or 40 tooth quicker ripping less smooth finnish
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=74883

these are also thinnish kerf blades about 2.7 youll need to check this is compatable with your wriving knife

Jeffke said:
My current blade is 254mm. Can I fit a blade that is smaller/larger than this (I've seen 250 and 255 sizes available)
Such a small difference won't be a problem, although you may need to adjust your riving knife to be slightly closer to the blade if you go to a smaller blade.

I'd try to pick a blade with the same kerf and body thickness as your original rip blade that way it will work with your riving knife. The kerf (width of the teeth) may well be something like 3.2mm on a 2.8mm body requiring something like a 3.0 mm thick riving knife.

If you want to rip and crosscut go for a combination sawblade - probably around 40 to 48 teeth in 250mm. These are a compromise and don't really have the same qualities as either a purpose made rip or crosscut blade, but they are a reasonable all round blade to have on the saw at all times. For fine crosscutting theblade's tooth count will go up to 60 or more teeth, but ripping performance will be cr*p. For sawing MFC (melamine faced chipboard) or veneeref MDF, etc you'll need something different like an ATB (alternative top bevel) blade probably with with 54 to 66 teeth.

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Scrit said:
I vote for big-all to be in charge of the welcome wagon!

Scrit

the trouble is is remembering if someone on say 5 posts has already been assaulted
or not noticing its a new poster and forgeting to greet them giving them an inferioraty complex :D :D :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back