Circular concrete patio- anyone laid one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to put down a 2.1m radius(4.2m dia) 100mm thick slab of concrete in the garden as it's the only permanent workable solution I can see to my patio needs(if it looks awful could slab over it).

Should I put reinforcing in it? Will it be ok as a monolithic slab or should I put joints in it (considered "handballing" it in 6 x60 degree sections) and leave out the reinforcing, with joints between each six bits radiating out.?
If it is a monolithic slab I'd need 1.5 cumecs so ideally a readymix solution would be best but I think it's too far from the nearest access anyway so not sure if this is feasible(without pumping which would no doubt cost a fortune)

The sub base is glacial till/gravel (no soil or clay whatsoever) so I'm not putting down any type 1....

Any advice?(inc formwork which should be a laugh considering how awkward it is to hammer anything into this boulderfield our house is on... :confused: )

Sponsored Links
If I was going to make some form work for a job like that I would get one or two sheets of ply, then with the circular saw I would cut strips of the length the depth of the concrete required but them end to end, and with bits of the same ply cut say 18" strips and screw them together until you have a long enough piece to make your circle then I would use rebar to hold the shape and maybe then you will not have to fix it to the ground. Fill with concrete tamp it flat.

Good idea catlad- six lengths of ply 100mm high by 2.31m stitched together would give the circumference. then it would just be pegging the outside at regular intervals to keep it from deforming then levelling it up... :D

Whenever you build anything circular, knock a peg or dowel in the ground at the centre.

Then use a batten with a hole in it that fits over the peg i.e. say a piece of 3" x 1" with a 40mm hole in it.

Sponsored Links
The centre is already marked with a pole in the ground from which I set the radius of the wall at 2.4m(thin rope trammel). The ground is a pain to peg being gravel/stony/bouldery but suppose even if it wasn't bang on I could pack out any spaces between the pegs and formwork with wedges etc. I'd need it to be wooden pegs then set the level and cut off any excess so it could be screeded across the upper level without any hassle...

The white pole marks the middle and the wall means I am limited for access for half of it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back