Patio Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to lay a concrete base for a patio at the weekend.

At the moment the whole garden is lower than the finished level is going to be, so I plan to build a wooden frame, get this level and fill with concrete.

Rather than waiting for the base to set, and then cementing the slabs on top, I'd wondered if it'd be fine waiting until the end of the day when the concrete has almost set, then laying the slabs on top wet. I figure they're unlikely to take any stress laterally so as long as they set "a bit" they should be solid enough to stay put. The joints will be cemented afterwards as well which will help hold them together.

The question is, is this a feasible idea or is the concrete likely to slump / settle unevenly and leave me with a mess?

Sponsored Links
To be honest i would forget your concrete and use compacted sub base. The wet concrete idea may work if you didnt need to walk on the concrete, i.e if it was a narrow area you can get at from the side.

Probably hard to get them very level as the concrete will have very very little give if its firm enough for you to walk on. If you try it before its well stiff you walking on it may push waves into it which will unsettle your previous row of flags etc.

There is a good reason no one does it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back