Help with building a large raised patio for less

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the cheapest/easiest way to build a 3m by 10m patio that stands 50cm to 60cm high on uneven clay ground? I plan to lay 600x900 or 600x600 paving slabs on top. I have planning approval for a raised patio.

Some options I have considered are a hardcore base with concrete poured on top, some sort of block and beam arrangement, height-adjustable patio pedestals on a lower concrete base.

Any ideas what will work out cheapest?

Sponsored Links
It rather depends on access and Labour availability.

A full 6 wheel grab lorry can hold about 12 to 15 cubic metres and could deliver you MOT type 1, but you would a way to get it to position and compact it. I suppose concrete crush would be cheaper, but it’s not designed to consolidate so it might settle later

that would be cheaper than a block and beam floor.

Back in the day my dad built a patio base by smashing up bricks with a hammer. They were left after reforms elsewhere in the house.
It took ages but tools to hire were not as common in the 60's. he then consolidated the hardcore with a tree stump.

You could get some mates around, have MOT delivered in a big bag, and get a wheelbarrow/wheelie bin.
trundle the stuff around and use a hired compactor. Feed your mates with a. BBQ and some cans.

Probably easier if you've built a Brock/block base first as a retainer.

Sponsored Links
don't forget that if you have air bricks in the way of the patio, run plastic drain pipe under the concrete to extend them

Back in the day my dad built a patio base by smashing up bricks with a hammer.

That's exactly what I did to lay my patio three years ago! Couldn't afford to be hiring tools or ordering MOT...

We'd knocked down a wall made of those horrible '70s pre-formed concrete blocks and I also had some old bricks from a BBQ. Spent a whole day breaking them up by hand, spreading them around and compacting with a tree branch/stump. Spread a tonne dry mix of sand and cement over the top and used a whacker plater to compact it all down. Another 2" of wet sand and cement on the top and the whole thing has never shifted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back