Raised Patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for reading this.
I am planning a seating area in my garden, not attached to the house. The land around my place used to be a clay pit hence the garden is full of clay and builder's rubbish. So, considering I am a pensioner (nearly) and the thought of all that digging and removal/disposal of rubbish seemed like a nightmare, I was wondering if it was possible to build a raised patio consisting of a frame, something like a decking frame, and then filling it with MOT or similar, sand and then the patio paving slabs laid on top. I have never seen one on my travels, apart from 1 in B&Q that they had set up to use as a demo to show people how to lay a patio.
Just thought it would be a fairly simple way of doing it, but hey, what do I kow.

Cheers for any help and advice.

Sponsored Links
If the ground is full of rubbish then its fair to assume it has been heavily dug up and therefore when building anything on top you will need to dig down to undisturbed earth and start building up from there.

Building a raised patio will be more expensive than ground level.

If you did want to do it you need to use concrete block and beam to span the gap not timber.

Then you would lay your slabs on top of that on a bed of mortar.

By the time you paid for all the extra materials to have it raised it may be cheaper to get someone in to dig out and put in a sub-base for you and then you can do the rest.

On a side note bradstone have come out with a new system which i think is on sale now which is a frame and paving similar to how you would lay promenade tiles on a roof top.

Can't remember the name but i'm sure its on there site.

Pretty spendy though...

Sponsored Links
Thanks r896neo.
Just had a look on the Bradstone web site Their new product is called Patio Deck. and yes it's expensive, £799 for an 8sqm patio.
might go with your suggestion and find someone to do the donkey-work.

Thanks again.

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back