Circular saw blades for door trimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone I’m new to the forum so sorry if I’ve posted this in the wrong place!!

I’m a floor layer and have to trim doors everyday to ease for carpets. I usually use a makita planer which is great, however in these new builds we have to take so much off the door it takes a a long time with a planer. My boss has bought me a circular saw;

makita-5008mg- 210mm (link removed)

I used it for the first time today and it was great however I feel that a blade with more teeth would be more beneficial. I’m just unsure what blade to get, how many teeth, if it has to be 210mm in size. I cut on average 7-10 doors a day sometimes fire doors and solid oak and just normal hollow doors
Sorry for my naivety

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply. That what I originally would have like but unfortunately it cost too much. Do you think the circular saw with be fine with that blade you sent across ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply. That what I originally would have like but unfortunately it cost too much. Do you think the circular saw with be fine with that blade you sent across ?
Yeah should be -make sure bore size and kerf matches

If you get a blade thats too fine it will want to burn on thicker doors.

Without a tracksaw, I would say make a jig to cut the bottom of doors, made from a piece of ply, 200mm wide or so that allows you to use clamps.

Good luck lugging a belt sander round with everything else, Foxhole. I find the weight and bulk to be too much for mobile site work. I find that I can get reasonable results with a block plane (always in my tool box or pouch) and a small cordless random orbit sander (when needed, and in any case great for sorting out poor mitre joints and door casing/frame top corner joints)

The 5008MG is quite a powerful saw, but has an oddball blade size - 210mm diameter x 30mm bore. The people I work for at the moment issue them to subs and cards in guys. Personally I'd rather use my own saw

Can you put a 200mm blade with the same bore size in that saw or is that asking for trouble ?

You'd be OK with 200mm. Our lot issue 190mm blades for floor cutting simply because the largest nail proof blades they can get which will fit are 190mm diameter. Main thing is that the teeth must be within the guard

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck lugging a belt sander round with everything else, Foxhole. I find the weight and bulk to be too much for mobile site work. I find that I can get reasonable results with a block plane (always in my tool box or pouch) and a small cordless random orbit sander (when needed, and in any case great for sorting out poor mitre joints and door casing/frame top corner joints)

The 5008MG is quite a powerful saw, but has an oddball blade size - 210mm diameter x 30mm bore. The people I work for at the moment issue them to subs and cards in guys. Personally I'd rather use my own saw
I only load tools I need for a job so not a problem for me .

Can only have one of them when I win the lottery can’t even afford a plunge saw ‍♂️ I’ll stick with the finer blade
Cheers tho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back