Circular saw......ouch!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so I have always been one to scoff at reports of circular saw accidents, fingers, hands etc chopped off. I used to think, how can anyone be so careless with a really dangerous bit of kit?
Used to.....
So today I was cutting a length of worktop with my big beast of a makita circular saw. Trouble was it jammed after cutting half a blades length. A bit of fiddling about and I deduced it was the riving knife which was slightly off and catching the edge of the worktop instead of following the blade into the cut. No problem, I thought, I'll just nudge it into place, whilst I still had the saw running.............ok so I put my finger into the rapidly spinning blade, rather than the riving knife. Cue spurts of blood, a sickening feeling in my stomach and me fuly expecting to see my finger on the floor!

Twas my lucky day and I only slightly mangled the tip of my index finger. Didnt even need a hossie visit!

I won't scoff at others again!

Jay

Sponsored Links
Once bitten twice shy.
Once, many many moons ago, tried to change a drill bit whilst it was still plugged in. Gripped the chuck key, applied pressure and then touched the trigger.
Luckily only badly bruised a few fingers and managed to keep them all.
Now when working on ANY electrical items the plug is pulled out!

Sponsored Links
I have had a scar on my little finger since I was 17 and used one without a guard on.

Since then I always unplug before I do any alterations.

When I was a boy I picked up a soldering iron by the wrong end !

Ouch! I have had a fair few mishaps at home and at work. Working with tools every day, a few scars are expected.

Your lucky, drove a hand saw thru my thumb giving me two thumb nails, managed to stop before the bone though.

I was once sharpening a samurai sword (don't ask) and managed to slice the end up into the fleshy bit of my hand. Five stiches later (which I removed myself on the night train to Dehli) and I have a story to tell!

As my grandfather got older he came off the demolition jobs and worked in the reclaim yard ripping down the timber for recycling. One day his colleague tapped him on the shoulder and said "are those your fingers on the floor?" He thought it was the usually wind up however, an A&E trip and a few days hospital food meant he got to retire for good. Index finger off at palm, middle finger off at 2nd knuckle and ring finger tipped. He was so engrossed in the work he hadn't realised he'd done it.

Much respect is due to circular saws as they don't take prisoners.

I once used a chop saw to cut through a hydraulic hose, as I wanted to avoid crushing it with conventional cutters. I totally forgot that the hose was internally braided, the saw ripped through the braiding which in turn ripped through my hand and jammed the saw tight. Lots of blood, but nothing lasting. Sometimes you have the daftest ideas and the moment of clarity happens a moment too late

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back