Circulating pump not turning off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Gundfos circulating heat pump on our central heating system which won't turn off unless we switch its electricity supply off- so when the heating is off, the pump is still operating. Could this be due to air in the pump?

Sponsored Links
We have a Gundfos circulating heat pump on our central heating system which won't turn off unless we switch its electricity supply off- so when the heating is off, the pump is still operating. Could this be due to air in the pump?
Nothing to do with air in the pump.

Is this a new problem - the pump used to turn off ok - or has it always been like it?

When you say "switch its electricity supply off", do you mean that the pump is connected to a wall socket with a switch, or do you mean turn off the electricity to the complete CH system?

Which boiler do you have - make and model?

Nothing to do with air in the pump.

Is this a new problem - the pump used to turn off ok - or has it always been like it?

When you say "switch its electricity supply off", do you mean that the pump is connected to a wall socket with a switch, or do you mean turn off the electricity to the complete CH system?

Which boiler do you have - make and model?

Yes - the pump used to turn off when the heating went off.

I mean turn off supply to complete hot water/heating system.

Not at house now until after Christmas so don't know make and model of boiler- sorry. Its a gas fired one and was installed in 1997. Could it be a boiler needs a service as we haven't had that done since we moved there a year or so ago- previous owners said they'd had regular services.

Could be the contacts/switch in the motorised zone or 3-way valve failed closed which keeps the pump running.

Need to check out the wiring with a multimeter or similar but caution is required as you are dealing with live 240v!

Sponsored Links
Could be the contacts/switch in the motorised zone or 3-way valve failed closed which keeps the pump running.
But that would normally keep the boiler running as well. Probability is that the boiler has an overrun for the pump and this is faulty. That's why we need to know which boiler it is.

Info will come after Christmas. ;)

yes I agree probably a faulty overrun unless its a gravity HW system
more info really req boss

matt1e";p="1088601 said:

Thanks for all this- will get all details to you after Christmas- have a good one!

bossbabe";p="1088622 said:
matt1e";p="1088601 said:

Thanks for all this- will get all details to you after Christmas- have a good one![/quote

The boiler is a Baxi Solo 2 50 PF- does this help?

Not at house now until after Christmas so don't know make and model of boiler- sorry. Its a gas fired one and was installed in 1997. Could it be a boiler needs a service as we haven't had that done since we moved there a year or so ago- previous owners said they'd had regular services.

Though I can not guarantee it will improve things, I am pretty sure you would benefit from having the boiler serviced.
Find someone local who comes recommended and ask him to do a service and explain what the current problem is. Chances are he will be able to solve it at the same time as he does the service.

The Solo pcb is quite notorious for failing and keeping the pump running.

I had the exact same problem with this boiler and it was a printed circuit board fault.

Replacing the circuit board fixed the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back