Cistern continuously dripping into pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an 18 month old push button toilet, and water is constantly dripping into the toilet pan. I've tried to tighten a nut at the end of the ball-cock (?) arm which pushes into a button which stops the water dripping. This helps to a degree but it's still dripping. Please can someone suggest something - in dumb female language that i can do next. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Check the height of the water level in the cistern against an indicator mark somewhere on the rear wall of the cistern - the final level of the water should be equal to this mark. Flush the loo & watch the cistern fill-up it should stop at this mark, if it doesn't then adjustment is needed.

The nut you mentioned will be a lock-nut (used to prevent the mechanism from going out of adjustment over time), slacken this nut off a few turns, then turn the nylon (plastic) bolt that the nut is on a few turns so it shuts off the water flow at the correct level. This nylon bolt will have a hexagonal head or a screw-driver slot (or both) to assist with adjustment, but more often than not will turn with your fingures. When you have adjusted the mechanism correctly tighten-up the lock nut - hold the nylon bolt whilst you do this otherwise it may move out of adjustment. Flush to bog a couple of times to check all is OK.

Symptoms";p="711305 said:
Check the height of the water level in the cistern against an indicator mark somewhere on the rear wall of the cistern - the final level of the water should be equal to this mark.

Thanks very much, I've done as you said and it seems to be working and not dripping anymore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back