Close coupled cistern-donut washer, drip problem ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a few drips from the bottom of my cistern (where it joins the pan). I have a close-coupled cistern. the wing nuts wee originally so stiff and i couldnt get them off for a while. then when i replaced them looser, water would drip every time i flushed the toilet. I tigthened then pretty tight and it was only drips, but the problem is ... I have tried to replace a donut washer. The standard 1.5 inch size. But when it's on, the cistern won't fit into the pan properly. Are there different size donught washers?? Also, I have replaced the wings nuts and screws and washer. I have tightened them pretty tight and they still drip a little bit, hardly anything though. BUT is the problem a split donut washer or what else coulsd it be???

Sponsored Links
HI

replace the donught washer and yes there are many different
types

the wing nuts wee
:D :D

There are at least 4 different designs of donut. It can be a mare to get one which works, and the china is made so poorly that things often don't sit at the right angle. All rather pathetic really!
Can only advise you try new donuts :cry:

thanks. should i take my old donught washer to a plumbers merchants-will they have a like-for-like swap? In b&q there was only 1 type, and that obviously didn't fit! are they hard to replace??

Sponsored Links
HI

easy to replace .you will have to remove cistern for this.
take the old one so you can get similiar.

I'd call in any pl merchants I see and buy all the diffferent types so you stand a chance in one hit - they aren't expensive!

they're about 1.50-2 pounds each!! they are the 1.5 inch size and fit around the siphon nut, but when trying to put the cistern back onto the pan, it doesn't go! so obviously i have the wrong size! would a proper plumbers merchants have a variety of sizes?

Might be considered a bodge but you can make a doughnut from plumbers mait. Sometimes you have no option if the cistern is tiled arounbd and you can't get the right doughnut to suit.

just a quick point-but why does water drip out of where one of my wing nuts screws to the pan? is this normal if a donught washer wears???

The water drips out there as it's the closest hole to the connection.

If it only drips when you flush the toilet then it is the Donut Washer that's gone, If it drips all the time then the nut at the bottom of the cistern that holds the syphon down.

You will find a selection of donuts herehttp://www.lunns.net/cisternspares/

just a quick point-but why does water drip out of where one of my wing nuts screws to the pan? is this normal if a donught washer wears???

have you checked the wing nuts as some connect to the metal plate on the bottom of the cistern.
as some overs go through the cistern from the top and have a rubber washer that stops the water from the cistern leaking and they wear with time.

I would suggest that the problem isn't your donut washer but is at the base of the siphon, check that it was correctly fitted and isn't catching on the screw/metal washer/cone rubber washer that connects the cistern to the pan, this vould casue the siphon seal to leak .

The problem you are having is that the silly doughnut washer goes round the big nut from the siphon, if you got the one from screwfix like I did it's that silly doughnut washer they supply fit's round the big siphon nut but does not seal it properly therefore water still comes out and leaks out through your butterfly nut. The solution for this would be if you use some good sanitary silicone and fill the gap that is left between the doughnut washer and the siphon nut then fix everything back together and leave it for overnight for it to dry and hopefully this should stop the leak.

Hope this helps !

The problem you are having is that the silly doughnut washer goes round the big nut from the siphon, if you got the one from screwfix like I did it's that silly doughnut washer they supply fit's round the big siphon nut but does not seal it properly therefore water still comes out and leaks out through your butterfly nut.

Thats cause some silly bugger got the wrong one thats not for that wc.

The solution for this would be if you use some good sanitary silicone and fill the gap that is left between the doughnut washer and the siphon nut then fix everything back together and leave it for overnight for it to dry and hopefully this should stop the leak.

The solution is get the right one in the first place and the wc is up and working in under 30 mins.

and after 3 yrs i would imagine it's done by now. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back