Cistern not filling upstairs but working downstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can spare me 5 minutes of their time and experience.

I have woke up this morning to find that my 2 upstairs toilets are not working. There is basically no water coming through to fill the cistern. I have ran taps upstairs and they are running fine and I also have a bathroom downstairs and the toilet is working fine there. Just seems strange that its the 2 upstairs toilets that are not working & nothing else.

Is it likely to be some kind of blockage somewhere? If that were the case though, would it not mean that the taps wouldnt work either or do they run off different piping?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer some help or advice.

If its a job for a plumber can anyone also give me an idea of what this should cost to fix?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could be that the upstairs toilets are being fed from a cistern in the loft, and the rest of the supplies come straight off the mains?

Have a peak in the loft to see if you have a tank, and if you can reach it, check the ball valve isnt stuck.

Most likely explaination imo ;)

Thanks ALzor,

Sorry its taken me so long to get round to this with work etc.

I have had a look and it looks like there is a seperate tank in the loft as you suggested. Bad news though is that it is full of water and when i press the ball valve thing down water does come into the tank. Does this mean I will have a block somewhere then from the tank to the 2 toilets that are upstairs?

If so that doesnt sound like a quick fix! Any further ideas?

Also just why i am picking your brains?????? The large tank in the loft..... what is that for? Just curious as the water doesnt seem that clean so would dread to think thats what we are drinking.

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
Unless your basin taps are mains fed, then it is likely the large tank in the loft is feeding your cold taps in the bathrooms directly, and the hot taps in the bathroom (via the cylinder - all the same water) - so a good reason not to swallow the water when cleaning your teeth or showering :LOL:

If it is that bad i would recommend isolating the water supply to the large tank (should be a service valve) and draining the tank down to clean it out before letting it refill!

Thanks for your help guys.

Any ideas on why my upstairs toilets are not re-filling ? Is it something to do with a valve or blocked pipe perhaps ???

Thanks in advance

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back