cistern to toilet connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new bathroom suite fitted a year or so ago and the cistern to toilet connection has started to leak. Needless to say, the plumber who installed it is now no longer around, but I need to know what the best way is to replace/repair the connection.

The leak is at the toilet end of the pipe, which is a flexible affair with a black rubber seal at the end which is just pushed into the back of the pan - it's this that seems to keep working loose.

Unfortunately it's a concealed affair with very bad access - a nine-inch deep panel at the top and the same at floor level. Can I just wind loads of duct tape around the joint, or is there a better way of doing things.

Also, as an aside, the cistern itself is a thin plastic one that seems to be glued to the wall - not too sure this is particularly satisfactory so should I consider removing the whole lot & starting again?

Sponsored Links
A bit like the flexible one top left, but it doesn't look like a ready-made one, more like a cobbled together to fit type of thing...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply - should I go for a 'rigid' type or another flexible one - the other bathroom, done at the same time, has a rigid so I'm just wondering if the plumber got his measurements wrong & hence the adaptation & if that's the reason for the leak. Are they supposed to be a set distance apart or can you get different size ones?

Here's a couple of photos of the problem: lack of space:

143000_142941_25249_13277420_thumb.jpg

and the join to the basin:

143000_142941_25250_43751623_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that, do they only come in one size or am I better to take the original off as a pattern & get the next size up? Also, how are they fitted in the cistern - any nuts or is it just push fittings? - can't get head in to see......

Some flexis are like a coiled spring in that they come fully extended and when you push the ends together they want to return to the original shape (Wirquin Jollyflex).

I think the supposedly better McAlpine one takes any position you want and can sag and slip off the spigot like I think yours is doing.

Does the flexi form a bend or is it just straight?

Hi, it forms a 90degree bend - vertical into cistern and horizontal into bowl. It doesn't appear to be sagging but it slides off very easily - doesn't appear to be contaminated, just a poor fit and too short I guess. Will look for the Wirquin (I think that's the make of the flush system actually). Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back