Cistern valves won't turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two 100 gal tanks in loft with valves both outlets. I can't seem to turn off the cold feed to the bath. It runs on slower but persists. Can I fix this without draining the tanks and changing the valves. I'm in a VERY scaly area.

Also, the valves by the hot tank are stuck solid (one is the cold feed obviously not sure what the other is). How do I free them w/o draining the lot?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Wow, must be some size to be using two 100Gal cisterns, are they tandem? IME once these valves lock up then the spindle snaps or the valve never shuts off properly again, defeating the purpose.

Bung the Cistern outlets, that will allow the (Gate?) valves to be removed and replaced using full bore lever valves. Need to measure the pipe size or see if the valves are size stamped (how old?) and clean removal of the old olives.

Sponsored Links
Wow, must be some size to be using two 100Gal cisterns, are they tandem? IME once these valves lock up then the spindle snaps or the valve never shuts off properly again, defeating the purpose.

Bung the Cistern outlets, that will allow the (Gate?) valves to be removed and replaced using full bore lever valves. Need to measure the pipe size or see if the valves are size stamped (how old?) and clean removal of the old olives.
Bit of a worry if the bung pops out or just leaks while doing that! Where do I get bungs from and what size? Thanks.

Bit of a worry if the bung pops out or just leaks while doing that! Where do I get bungs from and what size
Rarely happens due to the weight of water acting upon the bung but as suggested if you're worried then drain them down.

You can use stepped/variable size bungs but it really does depend on the size of the outlets

51dTsS9gUNL._AC_UL400_.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back