Cladding an external garage wall with shiplap cladding!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

i'm currently considering cladding my external garage wall with shiplap T&G cladding to improve the look of it as it's looking pretty drab at the bottom of my garden.

Was wondering if I should wrap the wall first with something like Tyvek home wrap or similar before fixing the battens and then finally the cladding. Will only need to clad an area of about 13 sqm.

It also has a PVC double glazed door and window which are flush to the wall so would I need to construct a sub frame around the window so I can clad up to the.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if you aren't going to heat it, no need.

If you think you may want to heat it in future, rigid foam insulating slabs work better and are resistant to nesting mice and insects.

The bottom board or two of shiplap will be most prone to rot due to rainwater splash and ground proximity or contact, so fix them with brass or stainless screws for easy replacement, and apply copious wood preservative.

Just realised I posted this in the electrical section.... Will re post in building woodwork!

Sponsored Links
When I said that I'm currently considering it....the woman of the house thought it would be a good idea. I had done a similar thing in previous house with an old shed that was falling apart. Finally painted it blue and it looked like a beach hut!

I said I would price it up so just working it out to see what I need to include in the overall costs as the Tyvek is pretty expensive at about £ 80 per roll!

You don't need a membrane - presumably the building already keeps the rain out.

The garage is dry yes, in the process of converting it into a workshop (man space) has it's own power supply and lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back