window position - relative to cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to start cladding an external structure built out of 150mm timberframe panels.

The cladding (19mm thick) will be fixed onto 48x48 vertical battens.

I need to also fix in 2 PVC windows (openings in place in frame) ..
The question is that as the window is only 60mm thick and the cill is only 86mm ... if I fix it so edge of cill forms drip over the cladding, it will only be about 19mm on teh frame ... fixing would have to be into batten.

see picture:

I could fit it further back (ideally)... but then need some form of external under cill that will work with cladding ?

Anybody worked this type of details before ?

Sponsored Links
48mm is a bit over the top, can you not use 25mm batten? Failing that widen the cill or leading flashing under the cill and over the cladding plus sealant on edge

You can line the opening with a timber to form a wider reveal to allow the frame to be fixed to the timber (which in turn is fixed to the frame.

Or fix timber to the face of the frame, around the opening to the effect of thickening the panel to allow fixing

None of these may be possible now

So, use galvanized brackets from the reveal to the side of the frame thus allowing it to sit forward of the opening and frame - but you need a horizontal timber fixed tot eh frame beneath the window cill to to support it

Of use a deeper cill section, not the standard one which comes with the frame

Or sit it back and fit some lead under the cill (and part up the reveal) to form the drip

Sponsored Links
Hmm ...

don't know if I can get deeper cills ... the windows & cills were a free gift :)

But what you said has given me an idea ...
I could put a cant piece of timber and then clad that in lead ..
something like:
GALLERY]
[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back