Timber cladding drip above windows and doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shortly I will be cladding a timber frame structure with 150x22mm larch feather edge cladding, horizontally on 25x38mm battens. The external window and door reveals will be only as deep as battens+cladding. I was going to finish the sides of the reveals with 25x50mm timbers. What's the usual way to form a drip at the top, above the windows and doors? Just the bottom of a feather edge board, or should I fit a drip moulding of some kind? The bottom of a board that lines up with the top of the windows is unlikely to line up with the top of the doors.

Many thanks
Richard
(not a builder)

Sponsored Links
Form a discreet lead drip or use a coated aluminium or plastic drip in the same colour as the windows. The drip will need to be 'L' shaped so that it can lip up behind the cladding.

There should be a tray (lead, aluminium, etc) fixed to to the sheathing behind the membrane, so that any water running down the membrane behind the cladding, gets cast off above the opening.

That's the principle, and you need to decide on the whether this tray needs supporting by a timber nosing with drip, or if it forms it's own drip. You tend to need a gap there too, and insect screen mesh.

There should be a tray (lead, aluminium, etc) fixed to to the sheathing behind the membrane, so that any water running down the membrane behind the cladding, gets cast off above the opening.

That's the principle, and you need to decide on the whether this tray needs supporting by a timber nosing with drip, or if it forms it's own drip. You tend to need a gap there too, and insect screen mesh.
Ain't that wot I said?

Sponsored Links

Ain't that wot I said?

Sort of. You said up "behind the cladding", so I clarified this with " behind the membrane ", just in case the OP rushed out for a bit of Sunday DIY.
:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back