Cladding chimney breast in loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Our loft has been converted and we use it as a den away from the kid at the moment. The chimney breast is rendered in a rough plaster finish, sort of Mediterranean style. Occasionally after heavy rainfall so damp gets in.

For my next project, I was thinking of putting a frame onto the wall and cladding it in the tongue and groove sets you can get from the big shed shops. Can I plug the gap I think damp gets in at and go for it, or are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of in my plan?

Sponsored Links
moonirules, HI

Suggest you fit a Chimney cap to stop rain water entering the vertical Flue.

At the same time you should consider fitting a vent into the [now] I presume? unused fire place in one of the floors below.

Have a look on this site for ventilating a flue?? loads of information on here, even some hints as noted below in "Similar Threads"

Ken.

Are you positive its rain or could it be condensation, as the external stack is cold and the air in your room is not. Also the other side of the party wall is your neighbours loft which should also be cold.
Frank

I was working on the assumption of rain. We're it condensation is there something I need to do to the wall before cladding??

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
Insulating it would cure condensation providing the room temperature stays above 10*. Unfortunately it would seal in any damp due to rain ingress.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back