Cladding gable ends advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to get the gable ends on my bungalow cladded, partly to make it look more modern but also to reduce the maintenance, easy painting the rest etc. My walls are currently rendered so what options do I have and what would people recommend?

I was thinking maybe cement weatherboard, something like Cedral but we had one guy we know come round and recommended Freefoam Double Shiplap cladding?

When fitting it, does in need just battens presumably or should there be anything else in the installation that I should be considering? Like insulation or some sort of membrane and should there be a gap for ventilation? We will probably have to replace the fascias in those areas at least otherwise the future replacement may become more difficult. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My bungalow is finished with Cedral, just nailed to ply walls ( so different construction method , but yours could be fitted to battens .I would not use a membrane as you need to keep the original render well ventilated .

Thanks Foxhole much appreciated. I've also heard Hardie planks mentioned as a decent option? Any views on them rather than Cedral? Or is the Freeform UPVC decent? Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would use cement board planks rathetr than uPVC - less risk of expansion issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back