Cladding inside corner finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
nearly finished cladding interior of my timber lodge with 15mm matchboard, but unsure best way to finish off the corners.

can i get corner beading? if so does it come in various profiles? or could i simply fill in the small gaps with wood filler then sand down? the gaps are between 1-3mm in places.

advice appreciated.....

Sponsored Links
if the gaps are 3 mil and below a colour matched filler would look best i think. iv ben a joiner for 14 years and i hate using beading etc as i think it hides bad workmanship but thats my opinion

cheers AM1. i may stain the wood so will ask the questions at local supplier for correct stuff. i personally like a neat finsh but think the corner beads on this will be overkill as im beading the other edges around the door frame etc.

You have to remember that wood being a natural material can expand and shrink depending upon the humidity in the atmosphere. Using filler on the corners at this time of the year will probably look OK until the summer months when the wood will shrink and the gap will open up. Using some sort of timber moulding to cover up gaps in corners is an accepted way of finishing this off.
BTW How did you actually cut the corners for the cladding? Usual way would be to cut a groove in one corner and have a tongue on the opposite corner going into this so the expansion and shrinkage isn't noticeable too much.

Sponsored Links
cheers JJ. did think about the expanding etc last night. gonna take a trip to timber merchants to see what profile theyve got for corners. dont want it too in your face.

in reference to the cutting dont really get what you mean. ive just simply cut the boards then butted up to the existing corner.....

Hi Lancred. Bit difficult to explain in words, but, you extend one piece into the corner and cut a rebate on it the thickness of the cladding and perhaps 6mm deep. The other corner piece of cladding then fits into this so that any movement is virtually hidden.
Alternatively you cut a groove the width and slightly deeper than the tongue of the cladding, then the opposite cladding's tongue slots into this. A bit like they join together but at right angles (if you see what I mean :)

Hi Lancred. Bit difficult to explain in words, but, you extend one piece into the corner and cut a rebate on it the thickness of the cladding and perhaps 6mm deep. The other corner piece of cladding then fits into this so that any movement is virtually hidden.
Alternatively you cut a groove the width and slightly deeper than the tongue of the cladding, then the opposite cladding's tongue slots into this. A bit like they join together but at right angles (if you see what I mean :)

yeh thought thats what you meant. sounds like i need tools for that!! to be honest im quite happy with how it looks now, but just need them 1-3mm gaps filling in. a lad at work suggest decoraters caulk then lightly sanding.

im due to stain, would this be an option? any particular make of caulk?

you can't really sand caulk. You either need to smooth it like silicone or you need to use a filler instead

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back