Cladding Old Fireplaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm in the process of opening up an old fireplace ready for a log burner to be installed next month. The old 1970s fireplace and associated masonry have all gone, so I'm left with the original brick firebox. When the house was first built (1880s brick cottage) the fireplace had a range fitted (used to be the kitchen, now the lounge), and as a result a lot of the bricks are burnt black and almost glazed. I was hoping to clean these up, repoint them and then leave them visible but I've given up on this now. I've tried all sorts of cleaning chemicals, brushing, and even resorted to an angle grinder this morning but I think the bricks are damaged beyond recovery. So I'm now wondering what to do instead.

I could just plaster the walls and paint them, but I was hoping for the fireplace to have a bit more character than that. A couple of other options would be to clad the existing bricks with brick slips (I'm not convinced that this wouldn't look false though) or slate tiles (might be too dark & out of character with the rest of the house). So has anyone got any suggestions on what I could do?

Many thanks...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back