Cladding Shed with Battens and featheredge - Concerns about Gap and Potential Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey DIYers,

I'm seeking your expertise and experiences regarding cladding a shed using battens and featheredge, particularly addressing concerns related to the gap between the OSB sheathing and the cladding. I would greatly appreciate your insights on the following points:

Animal intrusion: I'm worried about small animals potentially gaining access to the space between the sheathing and cladding from the bottom. Have any of you encountered this issue? If so, how did you address it? Should I block off the gap to prevent animal entry?

Water accumulation and rot: If I were to block off the gap, I'm concerned about it becoming a water trap and leading to rot. Have any of you faced a similar situation? How did you ensure proper water drainage and ventilation behind the cladding while blocking off the gap?

Any thoughts or experience would help.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You can apply stainless steel mesh, I did, (keep insects/mice out) along the bottom and top edges are you putting a block corner on (like a fence post)?

There shouldn't be any rot, as you'll have an air gap.

Just re-read your question... normally you'd be sitting the cladding on battens 2x1" running 90° to your cladding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back