Cladding to conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Advice please.

Got an early 70’s side conservatory. It’s half brick and half glazed. I got some double glazed Crittall for one end for light. I then intend to infill whete the glass segments are……..

I’m thinking if just removing the glass filling with 10cm thick insulation, On one side of that (to the inside) plaster board… ……….on the other side (external) vapour control then black plastic ship lap board.

Question is; Have I got the right amount of layers? Here are some pcs inside and outside

Thankyou

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_6933.jpeg
    IMG_6933.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6934.jpeg
    IMG_6934.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 15
Sponsored Links
You need a cavity behind the ship lap, doesnt need to be very big but at least say 15-20mm (ideally 25mm)

and it needs to be ventilated

If you are keeping the window frame then you will need to detail how you finish where it meets the cill -maybe lap some lead upwards

if you use celetex foil faced insulation you can use foil tape to ensure its air tight and as vapour proof as possible

if you finish the celetex flush to the outside of the window frame then you will need some battens vertically to create the air gap / cavity

depends on the cill overhang on what you can do

i used 5" of celotex for the conservatory, pushed up between the rafters on the inside, then plasterboarded and then painted over the double glazing where the infill was used. It helped, but still expensive to heat.

Sponsored Links
You need a cavity behind the ship lap, doesnt need to be very big but at least say 15-20mm (ideally 25mm)

and it needs to be ventilated

If you are keeping the window frame then you will need to detail how you finish where it meets the cill -maybe lap some lead upwards

if you use celetex foil faced insulation you can use foil tape to ensure its air tight and as vapour proof as possible

if you finish the celetex flush to the outside of the window frame then you will need some battens vertically to create the air gap / cavity

depends on the cill overhang on what you can do
Thanks for this wonderful info. Really very helpful. Tomorrow I’ll attempt a drawing at what I think you mean and please correct me if I’m wrong. Cheers again, Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back