clanking boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We bought a house a couple of months ago that had been empty for a year. It has an old maxi boiler . To my surprise the old girl fired up and began pumping hot water around the house.

A couple of days ago the boiler started maiking odd clanking, banging sounds - actually its hard to pinpoint the array of noises I now hear when the boiler starts. It woke me up this moring around 4am, scared that the house was going to blow I eventually turned it off. 15 minutes later as i write this email and the noises are still filling the air.

My knowledge of heating/plumbing is very poor. My system consists of 6 radiators, one big copper water tank. Above the tank is a big black square plastic bucket and another one in the loft. While its on all radiators are hot with no cool spots at all.

I have noticed though that when you use the hot water, the tank in the loft takes a while to fill and you hear the trickling of water as it's filling up.

As money is tight I was hoping this could be fixed without buying a new system.

Any advice is much appreciated.

John

Sponsored Links
Its sounds like the pump has gone and the noise your hearing is the banging made by the water in the system boiling up, have a look at it it may just be stuck or need replacing, do a search on pumps loads of info to be had.

as for the trickling sound that is probably a different problem from the CH and more on the HW side of things

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back